From William Van Winkle <willia...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: CloudStack questions...
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 00:02:34 GMT
Hi, all. Just circling back on this. Any thoughts? Would it be easier if I
could catch one of you on the phone?

Many thanks!

William

*William Van Winkle  |  williamvanwinkle.com <http://williamvanwinkle.com>*
446 NE 60th Ave.  |  Hillsboro, OR 97124
office: 503-213-3199  |  cell: 503-809-9406

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Van Winkle <williamvw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: CloudStack questions...
To: Julio Urquidi <jurquidi@tomsitpro.com>
Cc: Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>, "
marketing@cloudstack.apache.org" <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>, David
Nalley <david@gnsa.us>, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com>

Hello, Team! Thanks to you all for being available and willing to help with
my research for this project.

I'll open with a small plea of ignorance. I'm not half as informed on IaaS
as I should be, which leaves me twice as in need of pointers on background
and some patient hand-holding. As such, I'd be most comfortable offering up
the topical outline that Julio baked up the other day, then working with
whomever you feel would be the best fit for setting the right pieces in
play by email. This might be one article, or it might merit breaking up
into a series. I guess we'll play that by ear, and I'll take my cue from
you guys. But my overall mission is to provide a high-level, comparative
overview of CloudStack and OpenStack to general IT workers and decision
makers. Your help in guiding this would be incredibly appreciated.

That all said, here's the tentative outline:

*·         Intro*

*·         IaaS Options*

*o   Vendor (RackSpace, Amazon, MS, etc)*

*o   Open Source (OpenStack, CloudStack)*

*§  Vendor provided OpenStack, CloudStack (ie RedHat, HP)*

*o   Advantages of Open Source vs Vendor IaaS*

*o   Disadvantages of Open Source vs Vendor IaaS*

*·         Features (Comparison starts here)*

*o   Architecture*

*§  Basics (Hypervisor used, OSes supported,*

*§  Complexity (ex. how many techs needed to manage)*

*§  Key Modules (I would refer to a vendor and get their input on necessity
vs optional modules)*

*§  Scalability*

*o   Infrastructure needed (hardware/VMs)*

*o   Management (cloud tools, UIs, API’s)*

*§  Expertise needed (or is convergence a key factor that might simplify
management)*

*o   Support (big part of pricing)*

*·         Deployment Options*

*o   Is there a business case for going with a Vendor provided product?*

*·         When does using OpenStack make sense?*

*·         When does using CloudStack make sense?*

What makes sense and what doesn't? Please ping me back at your earliest
convenience. Thank you!