From Somesh Naidu <Somesh.Na...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Negative Press
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:36:18 GMT
Worth noting that Cloudstack (including its production customers) existed before Citrix ...
If there is a downfall in Cloudstack adoption or use in the industry I’d like to think there
are certain other, more significant industry factors behind that.

None the less, as far as I can see, Citrix continues to have a large number of dedicated engineers
(dev/qa/support/etc) working on Cloudstack.

As Giles mentioned, there will be speculations around and will continue to be, but more so
during this transition when ACS as a community is growing stronger and autonomous; not being
driven by certain organization/s like some other open source software are. I thought that
was a good thing and believe it is the Apache way (philosophy).

“every vendor on the planet claims to be OpenStack-compatible”

The above quote from the article you pointed, wonder what’s in it for the proprietary vendors?
We all know they don’t do it for nothing!

Regards,
Somesh

From: Giles Sirett [mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 11:04 AM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: Negative Press

Hi Sunando
Well done for picking this up.
Its always frustrating when we read articles like this – but don’t be too downbeat, it
wont be the last!

But you are right – many people in the industry do associate Cloudstack with Citrix. Citrix
have been amazing supporters of Cloudstack (remember, they created it)  but right now you
are correct that the market and user base has a degree of uncertainty about their ongoing
involvement. I hear it every day.   Although officially Citrix are still committed t ACS,
the people leaving in droves and the reductions in contributions from that end only point
to one thing IMO.

Any individual (from any company) is free to  contribute as much or as little as they like
to an Apache project, and no organisation has any obligation to work in a project.  But I
do not think this lingering uncertainty is not  good for anybody (especially the Cloudstack
project) and fully agree that Citrix should be clearer around their strategy with ACS.

Cloudstack can and will survive if Citrix aren’t around, but too much uncertainty in the
media is sub-optimal IMO

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055