From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack questions...
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:17:48 GMT
Hi Wiliam,

Same as Giles. You can reach me on Skype: sebgoasguen
Or send me some time slots and we can talk on the phone.

Cheers,

-Sebastien

On Jan 21, 2015, at 3:24 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi William
> Sorry, some crossed wires here: I thought Amy had arranged for you to speak with Nate.
>
> If not, then yes, I’m happy to do a call with you. I’m based in UK (GMT) , so send
me some timeslots when you’d like to do a call and I’ll set up a conference bridge

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us>, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com>

> Hello, Team! Thanks to you all for being available and willing to help with my research
for this project.

> I'll open with a small plea of ignorance. I'm not half as informed on IaaS as I should
be, which leaves me twice as in need of pointers on background and some patient hand-holding.
As such, I'd be most comfortable offering up the topical outline that Julio baked up the other
day, then working with whomever you feel would be the best fit for setting the right pieces
in play by email. This might be one article, or it might merit breaking up into a series.
I guess we'll play that by ear, and I'll take my cue from you guys. But my overall mission
is to provide a high-level, comparative overview of CloudStack and OpenStack to general IT
workers and decision makers. Your help in guiding this would be incredibly appreciated.

> That all said, here's the tentative outline:
>
> ·         Intro
>
> ·         IaaS Options
>
> o   Vendor (RackSpace, Amazon, MS, etc)
>
> o   Open Source (OpenStack, CloudStack)
>
> §  Vendor provided OpenStack, CloudStack (ie RedHat, HP)
>
> o   Advantages of Open Source vs Vendor IaaS
>
> o   Disadvantages of Open Source vs Vendor IaaS
>
> ·         Features (Comparison starts here)
>
> o   Architecture
>
> §  Basics (Hypervisor used, OSes supported,
>
> §  Complexity (ex. how many techs needed to manage)
>
> §  Key Modules (I would refer to a vendor and get their input on necessity vs optional
modules)

> §  Scalability
>
> o   Infrastructure needed (hardware/VMs)
>
> o   Management (cloud tools, UIs, API’s)
>
> §  Expertise needed (or is convergence a key factor that might simplify management)
>
> o   Support (big part of pricing)
>
> ·         Deployment Options
>
> o   Is there a business case for going with a Vendor provided product?
>
> ·         When does using OpenStack make sense?
>
> ·         When does using CloudStack make sense?
>

> What makes sense and what doesn't? Please ping me back at your earliest convenience.
Thank you!

> William

> William Van Winkle  |  williamvanwinkle.com
> 446 NE 60th Ave.  |  Hillsboro, OR 97124
> office: 503-213-3199  |  cell: 503-809-9406
>

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Julio Urquidi <jurquidi@tomsitpro.com> wrote:
> Thanks folks.
>
> I'll be cc'ing our writer, William Van Winkle as he's currently working on an article
about open source IaaS. I'm sure he'll appreciate any help you can give him.

> William, meet the CloudStack Team!
>
> julio
>
> Julio Urquidi
> Senior Editor
> Tom’s Hardware – http://tomshardware.com
> Tom's IT Pro - http://tomsitpro.com
> jurquidi@tomsitpro.com
> Twitter: @tomsitprojulio
> Mobile: 310 351-3757
> Tom’s IT Pro | Tom’s Hardware

give us an idea of time slots and a summary of what you need to know and we'll get the best
person to speak to you

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055 Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com