From scot gabriel <scot.gabr...@gmail.com>
Subject IRC #cloudstack (reaching out to the community)
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:50:04 GMT
I have been in the channel on #cloudstack via irc.freenode.net for 4 days
now and there have been 4 separate requests for help with no answers.

Is anyone out there using the IRC anymore for this products support (and
sense of community) or should I just speak up and tell people to only try
and reach out for help via the email mechanism (users@cloudstack.apache.org
)?

I'm worried about the perception of "lack of response" to people who are
reaching out for help and not being directed towards the proper tools.. If
we aren't going to use IRC for communication, can someone in a leadership
role please change the "/TOPIC" of #cloudstack to reflect that it's a
non-used channel and direct people to email?  Otherwise can I encourage a
couple of the guru's to monitor the IRC for us newbs that like to have live
conversations?

note: current topic:
 Topic for #cloudstack: Apache CloudStack User Chat |
          http://cloudstack.apache.org
13:48 -!- Topic set by chipc [~chipc@apache/committer/chipchilders] [Sat
May 10
          23:48:11 2014

BTW: the quick response via email IS AWESOME, so I'm not saying IRC is a
must, just want to catch the stragglers that aren't using email as the
first reach out and give them a sense of "we care".  Creating buy in from
us nerds is about how quickly/easily we can be directed to the right
support and training mechanisms.... for us "perception is reality".

For your consideration,

--
Scot Gabriel
IRC (devildog31415 on irc.freenode.net)