From Leo Simons <LSim...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for 4.4]
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:45:52 GMT
Hi Sally! *wave*

As I understand it the decision is to wait with further announcements/press until 4.4.1 is
out.

Daan is on “holiday” (if you can call doing a triathlon a holiday) and unfortunately he
didn’t _quite_ get the 4.4.1 release candidate out in time, so, I _believe_ this is still
stalled until at least early next week, probably longer, i.e. until Daan has time to churn
out the 4.4.1 and get it released (perhaps sooner if someone else picks it up, but I don’t
think that’s likely to happen).

cheers,

Leo

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; "mrhinkle@gmail.com" <mrhinkle@gmail.com>;
Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>
> Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2014, 12:02
> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

> Thanks so much, Aaron.
>
> The press release is still on hold until we receive an update from Daan regarding the
software update.

> Kind regards,
> Sally
>
> = = = = =
> vox +1 617 921 8656
> skype sallykhudairi
>

> From: Aaron Delp <aaron.delp@solidfire.com>
> To: Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org"
<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; "mrhinkle@gmail.com" <mrhinkle@gmail.com>;
Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>
> Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2014, 11:44
> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

> Not sure if this ever went out but we went live late yesterday with a SolidFire and CloudStack
blog for version 4.4

> http://www.solidfire.com/blog/increasing-storage-performance-provisioning-flexibility-in-apache-cloudstack/
>
> Aaron Delp
> Cloud Solutions Architect, SolidFire Inc.
> e: aaron.delp@solidfire.com
> c: 919-561-7904
> t: @aarondelp
> Advancing the way the world uses the cloud™
>
> This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached
to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is strictly  prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by return email or by telephone at
the above number and delete the message and its attachments.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>, "Mark R. Hinkle" <mrhinkle@gmail.com>, "Robyn

<mrhinkle@gmail.com>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>;
Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>;
Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

> Sent: Friday, 1 August 2014, 13:46
>
> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

> SolidFire is working on a blog post that will accompany this and link back to it. Look
for it shortly after launch as soon as I get it through company edits on my side.

> Aaron Delp
> Cloud Solutions Architect, SolidFire Inc.
> e: aaron.delp@solidfire.com
> c: 919-561-7904
> t: @aarondelp
> Advancing the way the world uses the cloud™
>
> This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached
to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is strictly  prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by return email or by telephone at
the above number and delete the message and its attachments.

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello again! Below is the revised draft in the "CloudStack Project Announcement" format,
and incorporating Mark's edits.

> Please forward any comments/corrections/additions no later than 6PM ET on Monday 4 August,
so we can go live the following morning.

> Thanking you in advance,
> Sally
>
> = = =
>
> [APACHE CLOUDSTACK LOGO]
>
> Announcing Apache™ CloudStack™ v4.4
>
> Mature, easy-to-deploy Open Source Cloud computing software platform boasts improved
efficiency and performance.

> [DATELINE] —05 August 2014—The Apache CloudStack project today announced the immediate
availability of Apache CloudStack v4.4, the latest version of the turnkey Open Source cloud
computing software platform used for creating private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.

> Apache CloudStack clouds enable billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually
across their clouds, and its maturity and stability has led it to has become the Open Source
platform for many service providers to set up on-demand, elastic public cloud computing services,
as well as enterprises and others to set up a private or hybrid cloud for use by their own
employees.

> Lauded by Gartner Group, CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs
for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources.

at http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/latest/about.html

> CloudStack has been used by thousands of organizations worldwide and is in use/production
at Alcatel-Lucent, Autodesk, BT Cloud, China Telecom, DataPipe, Edmunds.com, Exoscale, GreenQloud,
Hokkaido University, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, KDDI, KT/Korea Telecom, LeaseWeb, NTT, Orange,
PCextreme, Schuberg Philis, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, SunGard AS, Taiwan Mobile, Tata, Trader
Media Group, TomTom, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo, Verizon, WebMD and
Zynga, among others.

> CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack
was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation
Top-level Project in March 2013.

> Availability
> CloudStack v4.4 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html.
Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.

> Governance and Oversight
> Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.
A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
community development and product releases.

> Get Involved!
> Apache CloudStack welcomes contribution and community participation through mailing lists
as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and user events. Catch CloudStack
in action at the following events:

> -	20th Japan CloudStack User Group MeetUp, Osaka Prefecture, Japan
> 1 August 2014 @cloudstackja | http://lanyrd.com/2014/csstudy20/
> -	CloudOpen North America, Chicago, Illinois, United States
> 20-22 August 2014 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudopen-north-america
> -	CloudStack Collaboration Conference --the official user/developer conference of the
Apache CloudStack community-- Budapest, Hungary
> 19-21 November 2014 @CCCEU14 | http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe
>
> About Apache CloudStack
> Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
Open Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

> # # #
>
> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the Apache
CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks or
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:44
>
> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

> Perfect. Thank you, Mark!
>
> I'll start dovetailing your edits with the CloudStack Announcement format.
>
> Warm regards,
> Sally
>

> From: Mark R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>
> To: Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "press@cloudstack.apache.org" <press@cloudstack.apache.org>; "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org"
<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:37
> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

> I think the tone should indicate continued momentum of the ACS project just because the
boilerplate format sometimes makes it hard to stand out.

>> - Apache CloudStack (the project), where the format would follow what I had created
for the CloudMonkey news release; or
> Regards, Mark
>

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there --just checking in to see if there's been any discussion/decision on this,
as it will help drive the proper "tone" for the announcement.

R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>; "press@cloudstack.apache.org" <press@cloudstack.apache.org>;
Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>

so the content will have more formal boilerplate, etc.

>> Your choice; I'm happy to help either way. Mark's comments on the draft made me realize
that I had both hats on during the drafting process.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
>> Sent: Monday, 28 July 2014, 14:13
>> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release
for 4.4]

>> Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your editorial input!
>>
>> I'll take a peek and the googledoc and will follow-up online.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Sally
>>

>> From: Mark R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>
>> To: press@cloudstack.apache.org; Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>
>> Cc: Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org"
<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
>> Sent: Monday, 28 July 2014, 14:10
>> Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release
for 4.4]

>> IMHO the wording is a little awkward given the inputs from so many people in working
on our messaging. I took a shot at making it read a little smoother in this edition. Not a
final draft just a more easily digested version with my comments and some questions.

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-PNizgMsvPLbhKLwXv2ntSQpIbl0PcHp1-ac38nq5Q8/edit?usp=sharing\
>>
>> I also think the list of users is too comprehensive I pared that down and put it
into a project boilerplate I think we should pare it down farther as I am proud of our users
it does make things a bit hard to read.

hugo@apache.org; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; Apache CloudStack Press Team
<press@cloudstack.apache.org>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

Open
Apache™

FROM

own ideas - but just a suggestion...

"enterprise ready" with a long list of companies implementing - and a bit light on the community
angle, outside of the info on the wider apache foundation community.

- but somehow highlighting that the work in the release continues to reflect the increasing
community participation and contributions by a diverse group of developers and operators seems
like it might ... highlight a nice unified community feeling :)

yearly report," or something a bit more concrete seems like it would have more authenticity.)

Cloud,

Group