From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Announcement draft for CloudMonkey 5.2.0 release
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:24:21 GMT
Hello everyone --as promised, the draft (thus far) is below.

Please forward any comments/corrections/additions no later than 5PM ET tomorrow (Wednesday),
so we can announce at 7AM ET on Thursday.

Many kind thanks,
Sally

= = =

Announcing Apache™ CloudMonkey™ v5.2

Command Line Interface Tool Simplifies Apache CloudStack Configuration and Management

28 August 2014 —Apache CloudStack, the mature, turnkey Open Source cloud computing software
platform used for creating private, public, and hybrid cloud environments, today announced
Apache
CloudMonkey v5.1.0, the latest feature release of its command line interface tool.

CloudMonkey is written in Python, and can be used both as an interactive shell and as a command
line tool that simplifies CloudStack configuration and management.

Apache CloudMonkey v5.2.0 is the latest feature release of the 5.x line that was first released
in September 2013. Some of the new features and changes include:

- Multiple server profiles where users can use CloudMonkey against different CloudStack management
servers and switch between them using a profile option;
- A default profile under the section [local] is added with default values;
- Some bugfixes related to network requests, error handling, JSON decoding and shell interactivity;
- Every time 'set' is called, CloudMonkey will write the config and reload config file;
- Configuration options 'protocol', 'host', 'port', 'path' are deprecated now but setting
them is still allowed which sets a single "url" option, in the config file the [server] section
is deprecated now and CloudMonkey won’t read values from this section anymore but instead
read from currently selected server profile;
- Missing key/values are automatically set with defaults by CloudMonkey;
- During installation and upgrades, it will detect the platform to install either pyreadline
(Windows) or readline (OSX and Linux);

Downloads and Documentation
The official source code for CloudMonkey v5.2.0 can be downloaded from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html.
A community-maintained distribution is available at the Python Package Index (PyPi) at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/CloudMonkey/

CloudMonkey's usage is documented at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+CloudMonkey+CLI
Package documentation can be found at http://pythonhosted.org/CloudMonkey

Availability and Oversight
As with all Apache products, CloudMonkey is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is
overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.  The Apache CloudStack
Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community
development and product releases.

About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Open
Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

# # #

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", "CloudMonkey",
"Apache CloudMonkey", the Apache CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo
are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands
and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Contacts
Apache CloudStack
[FULL NAME]
[telephone number with country code]
marketing@cloudstack.apache.org

The Apache Software Foundation
Sally Khudairi
+1 617 921 8656
press@apache.org

>________________________________

 to refer the command line tool users can use.
>>> Advise if we should just call it “CloudMonkey” from now onwards if this
>>> would be less confusing?
>>
>> So - in documentation, I think you'd be right to use "cloudmonkey" but
>> I'd also use <code> or whatever to call out "hey, I'm talking about a
>> command/utility here." I find it a bit confusing in an announcement.
>>
>> In other words, I'm going to cowardly refuse to say either way is wrong,
>> but my style instincts say "CloudMonkey" throughout.
>>
>> Thanks again for writing it up - if I get
 a chance + the thread is still
>> open, I'll try to review + vote today.
>
>Alright, with you on this let’s call it “CloudMonkey” in most places.
>
>The voting thread closed as the vote passed but thanks for your review.
>
>Regards,
>
>Rohit Yadav
>Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
>Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
>

>Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
>IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
>CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
>CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
>CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
>This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the
use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd
 is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil
Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape
Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and
is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.