From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for 4.4]
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:48:27 GMT
That's wonderful, Aaron. Thank you so much!

Warmly,
Sally

<mrhinkle@gmail.com>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>;
Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>;
Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

>Sent: Friday, 1 August 2014, 13:46
>Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

>SolidFire is working on a blog post that will accompany this and link back to it. Look
for it shortly after launch as soon as I get it through company edits on my side.

>Aaron Delp
>
>Cloud Solutions Architect, SolidFire Inc.
>e: aaron.delp@solidfire.com
>c: 919-561-7904
>t: @aarondelp
>Advancing the way the world uses the cloud™
>

>This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached
to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is strictly  prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by return email or by telephone at
the above number and delete the message and its attachments.

>On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Hello again! Below is the revised draft in the "CloudStack Project Announcement" format,
and incorporating Mark's edits.

>>Please forward any comments/corrections/additions no later than 6PM ET on Monday 4
August, so we can go live the following morning.

>>Thanking you in advance,
>>Sally
>>

>>= = =
>>
>>[APACHE CLOUDSTACK LOGO]
>>

>>Announcing Apache™ CloudStack™ v4.4
>>

>>Mature, easy-to-deploy Open Source Cloud computing software platform boasts improved
efficiency and performance.

>>[DATELINE] —05 August 2014—The Apache CloudStack project today announced the immediate
availability of Apache CloudStack v4.4, the latest version of the turnkey Open Source cloud
computing software platform used for creating private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.

>>Apache CloudStack clouds enable billions of dollars' worth of business transactions
annually across their clouds, and its maturity and stability has led it to has become the
Open Source platform for many service providers to set up on-demand, elastic public cloud
computing services, as well as enterprises and others to set up a private or hybrid cloud
for use by their own employees.

>>Lauded by Gartner Group, CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich
APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources.

at http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/latest/about.html

>>CloudStack has been used by thousands of organizations worldwide and is in use/production
at Alcatel-Lucent, Autodesk, BT Cloud, China Telecom, DataPipe, Edmunds.com, Exoscale, GreenQloud,
Hokkaido University, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, KDDI, KT/Korea Telecom, LeaseWeb, NTT, Orange,
PCextreme, Schuberg Philis, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, SunGard AS, Taiwan Mobile, Tata, Trader
Media Group, TomTom, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo, Verizon, WebMD and
Zynga, among others.

>>CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack
was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation
Top-level Project in March 2013.

>>Availability
>>CloudStack v4.4 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html.
Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.

>>Governance and Oversight
>>Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the
project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases.

>>Get Involved!
>>Apache CloudStack welcomes contribution and community participation through mailing
lists as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and user events. Catch
CloudStack in action at the following events:

>>-20th Japan CloudStack User Group MeetUp, Osaka Prefecture, Japan
>>1 August 2014 @cloudstackja | http://lanyrd.com/2014/csstudy20/
>>-CloudOpen North America, Chicago, Illinois, United States
>>20-22 August 2014 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudopen-north-america
>>-CloudStack Collaboration Conference --the official user/developer conference of the
Apache CloudStack community-- Budapest, Hungary
>>19-21 November 2014 @CCCEU14 | http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe
>>

>>About Apache CloudStack
>>Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
Open Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

>># # #
>>

>>© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the
Apache CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks
or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
>>>Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:44
>>>
>>>Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release
for 4.4]

>>>Perfect. Thank you, Mark!
>>>

>>>I'll start dovetailing your edits with the CloudStack Announcement format.
>>>

>>>Warm regards,
>>>Sally

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

because the boilerplate format sometimes makes it hard to stand out.

created for the CloudMonkey news release; or

on this, as it will help drive the proper "tone" for the announcement.

Mark R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>; "press@cloudstack.apache.org" <press@cloudstack.apache.org>;
Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>

milestones" outline, so the content will have more formal boilerplate, etc.

draft made me realize that I had both hats on during the drafting process.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
Re: press release for 4.4]

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
[was Re: press release for 4.4]

so many people in working on our messaging. I took a shot at making it read a little smoother
in this edition. Not a final draft just a more easily digested version with my comments and
some questions.

 list of users is too comprehensive I pared that down and put it into a project
 boilerplate I think we should pare it down farther as I am proud of our users it does make
things a bit hard to read.

be fantastic, and always a good idea.

examples at [1], [2], and [3] are the most recent.

 pull up on the Gartner quote. IIRC, it's from a couple of years ago.

wanted to get this out sooner rather than later.

Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; hugo@apache.org; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>;
Apache CloudStack Press Team <press@cloudstack.apache.org>; ASF Marketing & Publicity
<press@apache.org>
v4.4 [was Re: press release for 4.4]

 love a quote from you, as well as any supporting quotes from
3-5).

 for your help with this.

process over to press@ once

CloudStack™ v4.4

 computing software platform now
 efficient, with improved storage, monitoring, resource scheduling,

Software Foundation (ASF), the

of Apache CloudStack. "MORE FROM

of course may have his own ideas - but just a suggestion...

and that it's "enterprise ready" with a long list of companies implementing - and a bit light
on the community angle, outside of the info on the wider apache foundation community.

are contributing "as individuals" - but somehow
 highlighting that the work in the release continues to reflect the increasing community participation
and contributions by a diverse group of developers and operators seems like it might ... highlight
a nice unified community feeling :)

has become the Open Source
on-demand, elastic public
 their own employees. In addition, CloudStack is
wish to study and implement

 year, or "in their yearly report," or something a bit more concrete seems like it would have
more authenticity.)

CloudStack entered the
Apache Top-level Project in

and improvements, including

ASG, Autodesk, BT Cloud,
Dell, Digital China Advanced
Hokkaido University,
KDDI,
 KT/Korea Telecom,
 LeaseWeb, MCPc,
 Microland Ltd, Nokia,
Safe Swiss Cloud, Schuberg
SolidFire Storage, Stratosec,
Tata, Trader Media Group,
of Melbourne, University of
among others.

 the 20th Japan CloudStack User Group
Collaboration Conference,
Apache CloudStack community
more information and to

free download from
As with all Apache products,
the Apache License v2.0, and is
Project's day-to-day
product releases. For
Apache CloudStack, visit
on Twitter.

 software. Through the ASF's
more than 450 individual
millions of users worldwide:
under the Apache License;
mailing lists, mentoring
official user conference,
 The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization,
sponsors including Budget
Google, Hortonworks, HP,
Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban,

"ApacheCon",