From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for 4.4]
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:37:25 GMT
Hello again! Below is the revised draft in the "CloudStack Project Announcement" format, and
incorporating Mark's edits.

Please forward any comments/corrections/additions no later than 6PM ET on Monday 4 August,
so we can go live the following morning.

Thanking you in advance,
Sally

= = =

[APACHE CLOUDSTACK LOGO]

Announcing Apache™ CloudStack™ v4.4

Mature, easy-to-deploy Open Source Cloud computing software platform boasts improved efficiency
and performance.

[DATELINE] —05 August 2014—The Apache CloudStack project today announced the immediate
availability of Apache CloudStack v4.4, the latest version of the turnkey Open Source cloud
computing software platform used for creating private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.

Apache CloudStack clouds enable billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually
across their clouds, and its maturity and stability has led it to has become the Open Source
platform for many service providers to set up on-demand, elastic public cloud computing services,
as well as enterprises and others to set up a private or hybrid cloud for use by their own
employees.

Lauded by Gartner Group, CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for
managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources.

CloudStack v4.4 reflects dozens of new features and improvements, including:
-Improved Storage Management
-Virtual Private Cloud tiers can now span guest networks and availability zones
-Support for VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler
-Improved Support for Hyper-V Zones, VPC and Storage Migration

A complete overview of all new enhancements can be found in the project release notes at http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/latest/about.html

CloudStack has been used by thousands of organizations worldwide and is in use/production
at Alcatel-Lucent, Autodesk, BT Cloud, China Telecom, DataPipe, Edmunds.com, Exoscale, GreenQloud,
Hokkaido University, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, KDDI, KT/Korea Telecom, LeaseWeb, NTT, Orange,
PCextreme, Schuberg Philis, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, SunGard AS, Taiwan Mobile, Tata, Trader
Media Group, TomTom, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo, Verizon, WebMD and
Zynga, among others.

CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack was submitted
to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation Top-level
Project in March 2013.

Availability
CloudStack v4.4 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html.
Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.

Governance and Oversight
Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.
A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
community development and product releases.

Get Involved!
Apache CloudStack welcomes contribution and community participation through mailing lists
as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and user events. Catch CloudStack
in action at the following events:

-20th Japan CloudStack User Group MeetUp, Osaka Prefecture, Japan
1 August 2014 @cloudstackja | http://lanyrd.com/2014/csstudy20/
-CloudOpen North America, Chicago, Illinois, United States
20-22 August 2014 http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudopen-north-america
-CloudStack Collaboration Conference --the official user/developer conference of the Apache
CloudStack community-- Budapest, Hungary
19-21 November 2014 @CCCEU14 | http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe

About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Open
Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

# # #

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the Apache
CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks or
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.

Contacts
Apache CloudStack
[FULL NAME]
[telephone number with country code]
marketing@cloudstack.apache.org

The Apache Software Foundation
Sally Khudairi
+1 617 921 8656
press@apache.org

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
>Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:44
>Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release for
4.4]

>Perfect. Thank you, Mark!
>

>I'll start dovetailing your edits with the CloudStack Announcement format.
>

>Warm regards,
>Sally
>

>>________________________________
>> From: Mark R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>
>>To: Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>
>>Cc: "press@cloudstack.apache.org" <press@cloudstack.apache.org>; "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org"
<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com>; Daan
Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>;
"hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF
Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
>>Sent: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 12:37
>>Subject: Re: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW] Announcing CloudStack v4.4 [was Re: press release
for 4.4]

>>I think the tone should indicate continued momentum of the ACS project just because
the boilerplate format sometimes makes it hard to stand out.

>>- Apache CloudStack (the project), where the format would follow what I had created
for the CloudMonkey news release; or
>>Regards, Mark
>>

>>On Jul 30, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hi there --just checking in to see if there's been any discussion/decision on this,
as it will help drive the proper "tone" for the announcement.

Mark R. Hinkle <mrhinkle@gmail.com>; "press@cloudstack.apache.org" <press@cloudstack.apache.org>;
Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>

outline, so the content will have more formal boilerplate, etc.

me realize that I had both hats on during the drafting process.

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>; Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com>; Giles
Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; "hugo@apache.org" <hugo@apache.org>; Pierre-Luc
Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>; ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>
press release for 4.4]

people in working on our messaging. I took a shot at making it read a little smoother in this
edition. Not a final draft just a more easily digested version with my comments and some questions.

 list of users is too comprehensive I pared that down and put it into a project
 boilerplate I think we should pare it down farther as I am proud of our users it does make
things a bit hard to read.

at [1], [2], and [3] are the most recent.

 pull up on the Gartner quote. IIRC, it's from a couple of years ago.

to get this out sooner rather than later.

Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>; hugo@apache.org; Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion@cloudops.com>;
Apache CloudStack Press Team <press@cloudstack.apache.org>; ASF Marketing & Publicity
<press@apache.org>
[was Re: press release for 4.4]

[was Re: press release for 4.4]

 for your help with this.

 computing software platform now
 efficient, with improved storage, monitoring, resource scheduling,

Foundation (ASF), the

CloudStack. "MORE FROM

may have his own ideas - but just a suggestion...

and that it's "enterprise ready" with a long list of companies implementing - and a bit light
on the community angle, outside of the info on the wider apache foundation community.

"as individuals" - but somehow highlighting that the work in the release continues to reflect
the increasing community participation and contributions by a diverse group of developers
and operators seems like it might ... highlight a nice unified community feeling :)

CloudStack is

 year, or "in their yearly report," or something a bit more concrete seems like it would have
more authenticity.)

Project in

 for DRS VMware and

Autodesk, BT Cloud,
Digital China Advanced
University,
 KT/Korea Telecom,
 LeaseWeb, MCPc,
 Microland Ltd, Nokia,
Cloud, Schuberg
Storage, Stratosec,
Trader Media Group,
University of

User Group
Conference,
CloudStack community

License v2.0, and is
CloudStack, visit

Apache HTTP
Through the ASF's
 The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization,
Hortonworks, HP,
Pivotal, Produban,

 All other
 brands and trademarks are the