From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Key talking points CS vs OS?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:25:11 GMT
Shane,

This response pains me more than you could know.

At one point I would have agreed with you on the CloudStack vs. OpenStack awareness versus
code but the fact of the matter is that by creating the brand impressions OpenStack has attracted
a larger developer base and has erased much of the technical debt it had relative to CloudStack
two years ago. The latest Coverity scan shows a higher defect rate than other Apache projects
too(http://clds.co/1jriKFj) and I suspect a comparable if not better defect rate. I symptom
of a user base that experiences linear versus the exponential growth many open source projects
like Linux, the Apache Web Server and MySQL experience.

I will say given the limited brand awareness of CloudStack it has as very good code base and
exceptional amount of deploys but I don’t think that it supports your hypothesis.

I really think that the point could be or should be, “Your project’s brand is AS IMPORTANT
as your code?” and that a strong brand draws user and developer confidence into investing
in your project. If our brand was stronger I think our code would be stronger but there’s
only one way to prove that theory. I wouldn’t want to see CloudStack as the cautionary tale
slide in your preso.

I don’t like to compare open source projects but I think you could make a compelling slide
showing the velocity of OpenStack adoption versus the press they received.

Press Mentions of OpenStack over time - http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=openstack
Activity - http://activity.openstack.org/data/display/OPNSTK2/All+Projects+Activity+Dashboard+-+Last+30+Days?src=contextnavchildmode

If you mapped their activity and overlaid it with press mentions I think you’d effectively
make your point.
I wish that there was a compelling CloudStack way to support your hypothesis but I don’t
see it.

Regards,
Mark

On Jul 14, 2014, at 9:34 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org<mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org>>