From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who manages a project brand: Cloudstack
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:20:09 GMT

On Jul 19, 2014, at 4:02 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Now that it is (apparently?) decided that the Cloudstack project handles its
> own trademarks, may I please make a suggestion to you.
>
> I'm a naive user who can't tell a Cloudstack from an OpenStack [1]. You
> might want to refer to your project as "Apache Cloudstack" far more often
> than "Cloudstack" alone. Thus you can benefit from the "Apache" trademark of
> the Foundation. That's what our Apache brand is useful for. Then later, when
> the full brand crystallizes in the minds of the public, the shorter mark
> will be sufficiently evocative and memorable to stand on its own.

Our guidelines are published at:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/trademark-guidelines.html

We do encourage everyone to use the term "Apache CloudStack" instead of "CloudStack".
However as always shorter is a better.

On that vein I would mention that indeed folks talk about Hadoop, Cassandra, Maven etc…never
about Apache Hadoop, Apache Cassandra etc.

In fact, most people don't know that Hadoop is an apache project.

Another vein to explore is that when you explain that CloudStack is a top-level project at
Apache, people say "Oh mine too".
Then you "ask, really I did not know ?", "Oh yes of course it has an apache license".

So while we are doing our best to make the cloudstack brand stronger, at times I am saddened
to see that the apache brand is not as strong as we might think.
And there is a ton of confusion between Apache, its projects and the license. For most Apache
is still HTTP or the license.

-Sebastien