From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Key talking points CS vs OS?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 13:34:52 GMT
I'm submitting an OSCON Ignite talk in a couple of hours about "Why your
project's brand is more important than the code" and it occurred to me
(since I still have one blank slide, and my deadline looms in a few
hours to submit slides) that CloudStack vs. OpenStack would be a good
example in some ways.

I already have some slides on "how do you choose a new product in a new
technical area you haven't worked in", and think that adding a third
slide on how OpenStack would come to the top if you were rating them
both on brand impressions, but CloudStack would come out on top if you
were looking at the code or seeing the actual real-world running code
impacts.

Existing slides:
- So you're a database person who needs to break into front end design.
 There are all these JS frameworks to choose from (logos around person).
 How do you choose?

- You don't have time to read all the code of all of them, so you
optimize - you choose a shortlist to download evals and build code demos
of a couple, and then choose one from there.  But how did you optimize
your shortlist?  You relied on the brand impression from all the JS
frameworks to choose the shortlist.

- Potential new slide: OpenStack and CloudStack logos opposing each other)
For example, which of these two has a better impression in your mind,
right now, right here?

The suits here almost certainly said OpenStack; a much stronger brand.
But CloudStack has the better code / more deploys / what???

Anyone want to give me 10 seconds of script to talk up here about the
difference?

Please cc: me since I'm not on this list.

- Shane