From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Key talking points CS vs OS?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:08:58 GMT
Thanks, Shane --if you remember our media training, it's important that we remain vendor (and
solutions!)-neutral.

I'm not aware of any side-by-side comparison charts between CloudStack and OpenStack that's
being used in public.

I have created a tearsheet on Apache CloudStack that may be of interest/use to you. I'm pasting
below; do let me know if you'd prefer I send it over as an attachment.

Cheers & chat soon,
Sally

= = =

Introducing Apache CloudStack™
The mature, Open Source turnkey software platform for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) cloud computing in private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.
Faster to the Cloud
As organizations move towards cloud computing services to alleviate the burden of managing/maintaining
legacy systems, equipment, and networking, many are choosing IaaS solutions to help reduce
costs whilst minimizing business layer repercussions. ZDNet projects that enterprises will
spend $650M for enterprise public cloud IaaS by 2018.
To facilitate the cloud transition, IaaS combines compute and cloud storage, where the hardware
(or virtual machines), computing power, cooling, and networking are outsourced; users of IaaS
solutions control the stack required to operate it, such as the operating system, virtual
machines, storage, database servers, Web servers, load-balancing, monitoring, reporting, logging,
middleware, hardware/software upgrades, patches, security fixes, licensing, etc.
The cloud offers massive computing power. The challenge, however, is that many of today's
cloud management platforms are cumbersome and difficult to deploy, making it an often frustrating
and resource-intensive investment.
Apache CloudStack is designed to deploy quickly and manage large networks of virtual machines
as a highly available, highly scalable cloud computing platform. CloudStack integrates easily
with other technologies, and includes the entire "stack" of features most organizations are
seeking with an IaaS cloud:
elegant, Java-based framework
compute orchestration
advanced Network-as-a-Service functionality
user and account management
a full and open native API (compatible with Amazon Web Services Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
for organizations that wish to deploy hybrid clouds)
resource accounting
choice of first-class User Interface, command line tools, or full-featured RESTful API to
delegate and create self-service offerings
scalability (production instances with greater than 40,000 hosts in geographically-distributed
environments)
user-led development and deployment documentation
supports the most popular hypervisors (including VMware, KVM, XenServer, Xen Cloud Platform
(XCP), and Hyper-V to run the virtual machines as guests)
Apache CloudStack: The Cloud That Just Works!
"CloudStack is gaining better 'real world' adoption … because it's actually usable in its
current form without special effort"
–Gartner Group
Apache CloudStack is widely used in production by many service providers to set up on-demand,
elastic public cloud computing services, as well as enterprises to set up a private or hybrid
cloud for use by their own employees. In addition, CloudStack is available to individuals
and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational, and/or
production use.
Apache CloudStack users power billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually
across their clouds, and benefit from:
Proven technology –CloudStack is among the earliest IaaS solutions developed, with many
long-term, large deployments that prove its stability and scalability
Stable codebase –the latest release reflects more than 1.5M lines of code from 170 contributors

Easy deployment –a Fortune 50 multinational had CloudStack up, running, and usable within
in a single day, as opposed to weeks using competing IaaS solutions
Highly scalable –CloudStack’s orchestration platforms have been used to scale to more
than 240 million users
Flexibility –CloudStack is designed to handle the spectrum of application/cloud styles that
span "legacy virtualization" through "cloud-native" style workloads, depending on how the
cloud operator designs the infrastructure environment(s) and configures CloudStack to offer
services
Reliability –CloudStack accommodates for redundancy and resiliency, providing faster recovery
and response time; Europe’s first CloudStack deployment has been running consecutively for
over 14 months at 100% uptime
Robust community –openly developed "The Apache Way", CloudStack is overseen by a diverse,
active, meritocratic community
CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack was submitted
to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation Top-level
Project in March 2013.
Global Footprint
Since its introduction nearly six years ago, Apache CloudStack has become the go-to Open Source
platform for a wide range of users such as 1 degreenorth, 5th Planet, Accudata Systems, Acentrix,
 ActiveEon, Add Value, Alcatel-Lucent, Amdocs, Amysta, Anolim, Apalia, Appcara, Appcore, Appdel,
Appfirst, AppSphere, Ascenty, ASG, AST Modular, Autodesk, AXEKA, Axelaris, Backbone Technology,
BT Cloud, BT Engage IT, Bechtle AG, Bell Canada, BigRED Group, Business Connexion, CA Technologies,
CANCOM, Caringo, Centracon, CentralWay, Chef (Opscode), China Telecom, Citrix, Clavis IT,
Cloud3, CloudCentral, Cloudera, Cloudian, CloudOps, Cloudsoft Corporation, Colt, COMBIS, COMLINE
Computer + Softwarelösungen, COMPAREX, Comping, Computer Services Group, Contegix, Control
Circle, Convergence Group, CumuLogic, Datacentrix, DataPipe, DBR360, Dell, Digital China Advanced
Systems, Disney, DU, e-Contact, Edmunds.com, Encloud, Ennit, EnterpriseDB, Entisys Solutions,
Evry, EXA
 Serve, Exoscale, Experteq IT Services, FPG Technologies & Solutions, Fritz & Macziol,
Fujitsu FIP Corporation, GigaSpaces Technologies, Globo.com, GreenQloud, Grid'5000, Gridstore,
Haaga Helia, Hillstone Networks, Hokkaido University, Homeaway, Hostbill, Host.net, Huawei,
IDC Frontier, Ikoula, IndiQus Technologies, InMobi, ISWest, Janz IT, Joe’s Cloud Computing,
Juniper Networks, KDDI, KIVBF, KocSistem, Kommunale Informatoinsverarbeitung Baden-Franken,
KT/Korea Telecom, Kumo, Kyuden Infocom, Kyushu University, LCS, LeaseWeb, Logicworks, Makro
Factory oHG, MCPc, Microland Ltd, MittelstandsCLOUD, MK Netzdienste, NAMU Tech, NEOS, NetStandard,
Networkers AG, Nokia, NTT, NVision Group, OpenERP, Orange, OverBright, Ozona Consulting, PCextreme,
PosAm, PPTV, PromonLogicalis, Proteus, Quality Software/Hostbill, RealCloud (PKN), RedBridge,
Redapt, RightScale, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Safe Swiss Cloud, SAP,
Scalr, Schuberg Philis,
 ScienceLogic, SCSK, sepago GmbH, ShapeBlue, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, SoftLayer, SoftwareONE,
SolidFire Storage, SSI, StackIQ, Stratosec, SunGard AS, SwiftStack, Taiwan Mobile, Targus
Technologies, Tata, TNTG Limited, Trader Media Group, Trend Micro/TCloud Computing, Tendril,
TomTom, UniSystems, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo, UShareSoft, Verio, Verizon,
Vision Solutions, VMTurbo, X-IO Technologies, Xtendsys, WebMD, Zajil Telecom, Zenoss, and
Zynga, among others.
Products + Availability
The latest Apache CloudStack release is v4.3.0, which reflects dozens of new features, bug
fixes, and documentation updates. Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey v5.1.0 is the latest feature
release of its command line interface tool. As with all Apache products, Apache CloudStack
software is released under the Apache License v2.0.
Governance and Oversight
Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.
A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
community development and product releases.
Get Involved!
Underscoring the ASF's edict of "Community over Code", Apache CloudStack boasts a very diverse
and open community comprising participants from around the globe. All contributors are on
an equal footing, whether they are writing code or helping with other aspects of the project.

The many ways to get involved with the Apache CloudStack community include participating online
on mailing lists as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and user
events. Information on the CloudStack community can be found at http://cloudstack.apache.org/
and @CloudStack on Twitter.
Catch CloudStack in action at the next CloudStack Collaboration Conference, the official user/developer
conference of the Apache CloudStack community, taking place November 19 - 21, 2014, in tandem
with ApacheCon Europe. To register and for more information, visit http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe
and follow conference updates at @CCCEU14 on Twitter.
About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Open
Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack
About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Apache products power half the Internet, exabytes of data, teraflops of operations, billions
of objects, and enhance the lives of countless users and developers world-wide. Established
in 1999 to shepherd, develop, and incubate Open Source innovations "The Apache Way", the ASF
oversees 170+ projects led by an all-volunteer community of over 400 individual Members and
3,500 Committers across six continents. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/
or follow @TheASF on Twitter.
# # #
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the Apache
CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks or
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.
Contact
Apache CloudStack
[FULL NAME]