From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [disucss] approval of trademark enquiries
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:47:35 GMT
Maybe more maddening for us, but at least the end "customer" would get one answer and one point
of contact.

In these more complex examples, theres nothing to stop us using the existing approach (as
an exception)

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: 07 June 2014 13:31
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [disucss] approval of trademark enquiries

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014, at 09:19 AM, Giles Sirett wrote:
>>
>> I don’t think the current “customer experience” of people who request
>> use of our logo or word mark is very good.  It certainly doesn’t
>> encourage people to use our brand. Take Karens recent request: theres
>> been a dozen or so emails on it, all with our own viewpoint. Karen’s
>> been CC’d on most of those I think. Shes probably sat there, with
>> 1001 deadlines getting frustrated with lots of views on the subject –
>> all she really wants to do is get some tshirts printed in time for some event or
another.
>> And Karen does this a lot: I remember the guys at Ikoula
>
> Well, I agree with a lot of this - which is why I broke off my reply
> to private@ only instead of replying-all.
>
> We should absolutely have a policy of ACK'ing the request, then
> discussing, then getting back to the party with any concerns we might
> have once we agree on what they are. (It's been suggested that we have
> one person who handles TM issues, primarily, but many folks were
> concerned about the single point of failure. The flip side is "when
> everybody's responsible, nobody is" and a potential for bike shedding.
>
>> At the moment, the TM guide says this for non-software:
>>
>> • Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the
>> CloudStack marks may not be sold.
>> • Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and
>> approval from trademarks@apache.org.
>>
>> I would love to see that changed to:
>> If you wish to use the CloudStack mark on any non-software goods
>> (maybe tee shirts for a conference or some marketing collateral) we’d
>> love to see you do that. Please email private@cs.a.o  with artwork or
>> a descrition and we’ll come back to you with approval within 5 days.
>> You must not print until we have approval blah blah
>
> s/come back to you with approval/come back with a decision/
>
> I like setting a time frame, but... what happens if we don't hit it?
> You wait another 5 days, because we're not doing lazy consensus with marks.
> But we should *try* to turn around anything like this within 72 hours.
> (At least 3 business days, not sure I want to commit to decisions by
> Monday if someone shoots an email on Friday morning...)
>
>> The  PMC then can discuss internally if required (vote if required)
>> and send a mail of to Shane and get back to requestor with a simple
>> yes/no
>
> That is how it should go. I don't think it's a good idea to do the
> discussion on marketing@ or spam the person making the request with
> the full discussion.

We also have the issue of it not being entirely in our control on many issues. Consider this
example.
Someone comes up with a design they want to make. The PMC isn't happy with that design, and
asks for adjustments. Once the PMC is satisfied, we pass it along to TM@. TM@ may have questions
or concerns, but now has to use whoever on the PMC brought the subject up as a middleman to
get the questions answered. I'm not sure that's any less maddening.