From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: cloudstack survey
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:50:46 GMT
All

I have accommodated *most* of the  feedback points
http://www.formwize.com/CloudStackSurvey

Also some inline comments on Robyn's comprehensive feedback.

I'd like to get this bottomed out ASAP

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Robyn Bergeron [mailto:rbergero@redhat.com]
Sent: 19 June 2014 23:29
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: cloudstack survey

----- Original Message -----

Hi,

I have a bunch of comments/fixes/thoughts. (I've done this a few times, and thus just trying
to spare you guys the pain that I have lived with in the past :D)

I may have more thoughts but this is probably overwhelming enough of an email as it is. :)
If anyone has questions about my questions/comments I'm happy to elaborate. There are a couple
of typo/spelling type things but just wanted to address the bigger picture things. Or at the
bare minimum: Fixing question 28. (Detailed below.) :D

-robyn

General Comments:

* Since the survey is somewhat long-ish (More than 2 minutes of work to fill out) it might
be worth looking into whether or not a token can be generated and sent to the user after filling
out their initial information so that if they can't complete it all at once, they can come
back to finish the survey from the point they were at later on.

Would love to, this platform doesn’t give us that

* It may be helpful to specify something around "Who should fill out this survey?" "Users"/usage
is somewhat nebulous in this space; it might be helpfu to qualify this a little bit not necessarily
to *exclude* people, but more to ensure that people feel like their "usage" qualifies. (Somewhat
related to that: One of the pages of questions has quite a few details that I am guessing
not all "users" will necessarily know - just want to make sure they dont' get there and then
start thinking, "Oh, they want a different type of user/operator")

done

* Re: Free-form boxes on likes/dislikes/etc - a few things:
** When I see questions like this early on in a survey, EVEN IF THEY ARE OPTIONAL, I start
wondering if the whole survey is going to be like this and if I'm goign to have to be doing
a lot of typing, which disincentivizes me from moving on I suggest having questions like this
at the end.

Moved to end

** Having recently done a survey of engineers at my lovely company with free-form text boxes
- and getting 1600 respondents to each fill out 3 free-form text boxes similar to these --
(1) HOLY CRAP, it really, really sucks to go through and parse and sort and turn into anything
useful, (2) Is someone actually going to DO SOMETHING with that information. Because asking
people to spend time really thinking about this kind of stuff (and those that care really
will put their hearts into it, believe it or not) and then having nothing ever happen with
it can be less than awesome. And disincentivizing in the future.

Agreed. We wont get 1600 :-)

Comments/thoughts on specific questions:

Intro comments - "we would like to... include you on our list of users" - it might be useful
to link to what that list looks like. When I read the words "include me in your list" I immediately
think I'm going to be added to a mailing list, not a wiki / web page, so adding clarity there
may be helpful. (There is a bit more clarity when you read down further into the questions
and it says "share my organisations name as a user".)

Done

2. "The Apache CloudStack PMC can share my organisations name as a user of CloudStack" --
This might be better done as a follow-up if they are willing to be contacted. I would be willing
to guess that not everyone who thinks this is a great idea is not always going to be the person
authorized to make that decision :)

4. "Address" -- One line, not clear if city/state/province/country/postal code is required.
Also: Is this the address of my organization? Or my personal address?

done

7. "Where are you based" -- was this not covered in "Address"?
(And again: Is this where my company is based, or where I am based?)

done
8. "Where do you go for information about using CloudStack?"
* Should note that they can select all that apply.
* Suggest also using an Other box that they can fill (as part of same question)

done
16. "Specify the workloads that you are currently running"
* Add "select all that apply"

done
17. "If running other workload types" - suggest adding this as an other with #16 as "If other,
add here" - that way you get a full representation for math / percentage / etc. purposes with
#16.

Platform wont let us do that (don’t ask !)

BONUS on 16/17: Why is "CURRENTLY" in all caps? Is another useful question knowing what workloads
they are planning to deploy in the future?

You answered your own question. Yes, I had meant to (and now have) added a Q on future workload
plans

19. What CS releases are you currently using?
* Add "I don't know"

Done
20. NW Model
* "I don't know"
done
21. Network Isolation Model
* Add "I don't know"
done
24. Do you also use an S3 compatible object store - plz specify
* Should be a radio button "Yes, No" and then "If yes, then specify" type of question. The
survey software should be able to force this. Otherwise you're going to get a result back
that says 100% of respondents are using an S3 compatible object store, and 50% of them are
running an S3-compatible object store called "no" :) Which is not fun to weed out of results.
Have rewored question (the perfect way of doing it is difficult)

25. Compatability APIs.
* add "I don't know"
done
26. Config mgmt tools
* Perhaps add saltstack?
done
28. What OS do you use to run CS?
* WHERE IS FEDORA
* NO, REALLY, I AM WOUNDED
* Seriously.
* Don't make the CloudStack Monkey cry. Please add Fedora.

OMG, soooooooo sorry Robyn. Anyway, sorted now.
I love Fedora (does that make it any better?)

Would also add:
* Are you aware of our Conferences? (Have you attended, etc)
done