From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:38:18 GMT
Harm
I know where you're coming from (but golf is a silly idea  -stupid & frustrating game
:-) )

In all seriousness, that comment by Barb Darrow stuck in my throat. Because its true.

But *why* do we expect any different ? What are we doing to

Here's the problem: we put a lot of effort into attending/sponsoring/speaking at opensource
conferences. That certainly has value, and IMO we should continue to do so. We're opensource
guys, its our natural hunting ground. But CIO's don't go to these.

What we don't do however, is focus much on "the events that CIO's will be at". They don’t
have to be literally CIO's: these are the business focussed events, where people wear suits
not monkey tee-shirts

We've got people who are capable of going and doing such talks, we're just not getting the
opportunities

Recently Chris Reid took the initiative on getting a speaking slot at such a conference [1].
Chris had to effectively cold-call the event organisers and pursued them to let him talk about
ACS.

In theory, there's nothing to stop any of us doing such cold calling, but it is hugely inefficient
& I think will have a low hit rate. What I would love to do is:

a)identify a list of people who have metaphoric suits in their closets
b)identify a list of such events
c) Get Sally (if that’s OK with Sally) to approach the organisers on some form of formal
basis (I know we have rules around representing [or not] the project, but we'd need to figure
something out). Hopefully this should get us many more hits

[1] http://markmail.org/message/utuj64ezvw6xx2c2

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com