From Chris REID <ch...@pointgreen.biz>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What's Our Battle Cry? CloudStack the Cloud that Just Works
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 16:41:16 GMT
Last week I attended the SDN/NFV World Summit in London, giving both a
presentation on Cloudstack and being part of an Expert Panel, with Neela
Jacques of OpenDaylight and Sharar Steiff of PCCW Global.

I attempted to engage as many folks as possible on the topic of Cloudstack,
and understand the motivation and direction of senior folks within global
Service Providers.

The constant message was 'Openstack is the defacto VM orchestration
platform' with speaker after speaker referencing the recent US OpenStack
event.

Cloudstack had 3 mentions in the 3 days I was present.

 Yes, in conversation many folks knew about Cloudstack and its high
availability/reliability, however when I inquired 'why not try Cloudstack?'
the consistent response was 'we hardly every hear from Cloudstack; you are
never at any events, there is little or no promotion'. It is a confidence
issue.

My first observation is that if OpenDaylight can sponsor the SDN Summit,
then what structural changes need to be made to ensure Cloudstack has the
funds to be a presence at every appropriate event? Someone recently
mentioned 'Inside Intel' as an excellent logo, which it is, but only
because Intel promote it aggressively.

My second observation is that Openstack has perceived direction, a kind of
roadmap that you would expect from a commercial organisation.

Hence in parallel with promoting Cloudstack, comes the need to create a
direction(and the associated trust). What are we about and where would we
take a user in the years to come.

Please, don't shoot the messenger, there was some positive messages from
those who appreciate Cloudstack, I'm simply reflecting to the group the
genuine feedback gathered last week.

Chris

*Chris Reid*

Head - Infrastructure and Cloud Business Unit

   -  uk.linkedin.com/pub/chris-reid/0/90b/b0a

Mob: +44 7703 50 32 34
chris@pointgreen.biz <http://patrick@pointgreen.biz/>
SKYPE chris.reidyork