From Rohit Yadav <rohityada...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack infographic
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 05:12:33 GMT
Looking forward to the infographics Amy! Let me share some stats below,
inline;

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Chip Childers <chipchilders@apache.org>
wrote:

> That is fantastic Amy!
>
> Some specific comments below:
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:50:28PM -0500, Amy Lindberg wrote:
> > I am thinking about creating an inforgraphic that includes information
> > about CloudStack. Below is a list of items that I could like to include.
> > Anyone know where I can gather this info?
> >

> >    1. Release date and version since the project started
>
> Hmmm...  that's a really good request.  Here is the list for *Apache*
> CloudStack. Remember that this was a commercial product from cloud.com
> first, then an OSS project at Citrix and now at Apache.  Perhaps someone
> from Citrix would be able to offer a listing of the pre-ASF releases
> (significant vs. bug fix) to Amy?
>
> Here's the Apache CloudStack list:
>
> 4.0.0-incubating - Nov 6, 2012
> 4.0.1-incubating - Feb 12, 2013
> 4.0.2 - April 24, 2013
> 4.1.0 - June 5, 2013
> 4.1.1 - Aug 6, 2013
> 4.2.0 - Oct 1, 2012
> 4.2.1 - Jan 10, 2014
> 4.3.0 - Mar 25, 2014
>

> >    2. Number of countries using CloudStack
>
> That's exceptionally hard to know, since we can only really track some
> of our download activity.  That said, there's discussion about trying to
> pull together some details from the package download logs.

Difficult indeed, but recently ShapeBlue shared list of companies using
CloudStack. Maybe you can use this information somehow to show diversity:
http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack/are-these-people-really-all-using-cloudstack

> >    3. Number of contributors
>
> Contributors is another difficult question.  We can say that there are
> 290 different email addresses listed as contributors to the *code* right
> now.  I'd use the term "code contributors", because honestly...  you're
> a contributor as well here (just with marketing support, not code)!

One way could be to count unique names (not email addresses) that sent
email to all our mailing lists?

> >    4. Number of lines of code
>
> We're actually debating how to measure this correctly right now.  There
> are some files in the codebase that need to be excluded, because they
> are auto-generated...  I believe Rohit did some better line counting
> recently.  Rohit, care to share?

Sure Chip. One may use Ohloh for this as well:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/CloudStack/analyses/latest/languages_summary

It's debatable what we should consider as lines of code so let me share all
of them and how I calculate them:

- Total lines of text/code in our code base is about 2.3M lines this
includes code, docs, xmls, license etc. [1]
- Language specific: [2] (we can show it as pie chart maybe?)
  - XML: 94k LOC (lines of code)
  - Properties files (config): 23k LOC
  - HTML: 900 LOC
  - CSS: 23k LOC
  - JavaScript: 130k LOC
  - Groovy: 2.5k LOC
  - SQL: 19k LOC
  - Shell script: 20k LOC
  - C# (.NET): 57k LOC
  - Python: 167k LOC
  - Java: 1.75M LOC

- The "awsapi" artifact is about 1.04M lines of code, in a recent poll (
http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/ssraym/who-uses-awsapi-with-cloudstack-in-prouduction/view)
we found that it's much popular or perhaps used in production

What I consider is the *real* number of lines of code = All
(Java+Python+Shell+SQL) minus (headers + comments + blank-lines + docs +
AWSAPI) = 716k LOC [3]

In the above if we remove tests, the number comes down to: 542k LOC

How to calculate it:
[1] git ls-files | xargs cat | wc -l
[2] git ls-files | grep <lang file extension>$ | xargs cat | wc -l
[3] git ls-files | egrep "(py|java|sql|sh)$" | grep -v \^awsapi | xargs cat
| grep -v \^\# | grep -v \^\/\/ | grep -v "^$" | wc -l

Regards.