From Prodosh Banerjee <p.baner...@anolim.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What's Our Battle Cry? CloudStack the Cloud that Just Works
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 17:14:17 GMT
Seb - you have made some very good points and there is a clear call for action there.

The same evening I came across this article which I want to share:
	Is OpenStack Dead:  http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/openstack-dead-26869/

This is quite a substantive article which compares many different cloud operating systems
(unfortunately not CloudStack) and has some reasons why OpenStack might not make it.

Whatever we think of this, we need to strengthen and grow the community while improving our
presence in communications and events read by the corporate world. But there are obviously
doubts about the viability of OpenStack also (too many cooks etc.) and those of us who are
old enough to remember the efforts of other tech consortia (OSF vs. Unix International etc.)
might be forgiven for thinking that we can succeed if we can find the resources to communicate
better.

Best regards
Prodosh

Prodosh Banerjee
Safe Swiss Cloud - a service of Anolim GmbH

Web: 	http://www.safeswisscloud.ch

Tel: 		+41 43 541 5704
Email: 	p.banerjee@safeswisscloud.ch
Skype: 	p.banerjee

Twitter:	@prodosh, @safeswisscloud

Alte Landstrasse 64
8800 Thalwil
Switzerland

On 02.06.2014, at 23:02, Arjan Eriks <eriarjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris, Seb, Mark, e.a.,
>
> To add to this, we all know where we stand. Seb is right. If we do not move we become
irrelevant. The betamax/vhs comparison is becoming true if we do not act. Personally I see
a number of reasons for this, but one of the most important ones is in my view that we are
true believers of OSS and the way Apache manages things. We love the way developers can find
shelter. Next to that I see a lot of loyal people that do not easily give up.

> We need to shift drastically if we want to gain momentum. A legal body that can act on
behalf of Cloudstack (cloudstack foundation etc.), some (more than you think) full time folks
for marketing, proof of concepts, software integration, feature development).Sebs point on
dayjobs is so true. We just cannot fly out to multiple events a year. Time and money constraints
are too big.

> Chris, you are totally right with the roadmap. Useful features, joining hypes, talking
to Gartner (and friends) gives body that you need in every boardroom.

> So all for a change of direction here, and after DevopsDays Amsterdam probably also some
more time to help with this approach.

> Rgds, Arjan
>
>> 	sebgoa	2 Jun 2014 20:17
>> On Jun 2, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Chris REID <chris@pointgreen.biz> wrote:
>>
>>> Last week I attended the SDN/NFV World Summit in London, giving both a
>>> presentation on Cloudstack and being part of an Expert Panel, with Neela
>>> Jacques of OpenDaylight and Sharar Steiff of PCCW Global.
>>>

>>> I attempted to engage as many folks as possible on the topic of Cloudstack,
>>> and understand the motivation and direction of senior folks within global
>>> Service Providers.
>>>
>>> The constant message was 'Openstack is the defacto VM orchestration
>>> platform' with speaker after speaker referencing the recent US OpenStack
>>> event.
>>>

>>> Cloudstack had 3 mentions in the 3 days I was present.
>>>

>>> Yes, in conversation many folks knew about Cloudstack and its high
>>> availability/reliability, however when I inquired 'why not try Cloudstack?'
>>> the consistent response was 'we hardly every hear from Cloudstack; you are
>>> never at any events, there is little or no promotion'. It is a confidence
>>> issue.
>>>

>> I have been in those events before, and you are totally right Chris. This is especially
true of trade shows like events and the *expos.

>> Apache CloudStack does not have a budget and cannot pay for folks/companies to attend
events and speak on behalf of the project.
>> So for every event there is, we need to rely on community members to fight the battle
and represent the project. It's an uphill battle.
>> I wish I could tell you that we are gaining ground, but the plain truth is that we
are getting hammered and becoming irrelevant (here I said it).

>> The Citrix open source business office invests in open source events to outreach
to the developer community, but there is little done to reach out
>> to the business world. And it's a vicious circle because as the business choosing
openstack, the developers also choose openstack and our dev community does not grow or very
slowly.

>> CloudStack users have day jobs and most of the time don't have time or budget to
invest to represent an OSS project. There are many examples of this.

>> The CloudStack PMC is working hard to convince the Apache board that we need mechanisms
to raise funding and direct it at CloudStack, but this is a major shift
>> from Apache way of doing things, mission and some would say values. This change if
it were to happen will not happen overnight. We are talking about changing
>> some core mechanisms of probably the oldest OSS foundation, so if you want a timeline
then think about a year, not weeks.

>> Move the topic away from CloudStack and compare the website of ASF and the linux
foundation and tell me which one is more business friendly...