From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:20:53 GMT
Giles,

The downside is that usually those conferences where attendees wear suits also require a sponsorship
to get the speaking spot. I donate the open source spots usually because I can afford them
and would do more of the business ones but frankly the whole permission process is frustrating
enough for the OSS conferences let alone the more tedious process often required around conferences
like Interop.

You also hit on the real problem for us to make traction it would require a marketing plan
and enough people committed to running the marketing plan full time. Sally’s done a great
job on pulling together the tear sheet but we need a proper messaging session and the a full
on marketing program that includes analyst relations, press relations and speaking bureau.

As someone who’s chaired a few conferences I can tell you one of the considerations is the
audience appetite for the topic. Without media awareness the conference organizers aren’t
as inclined to add a spot for CloudStack.  Then even if they do have the appetite they will
still want to shake down someone for a sponsorship have you seen the Apache CloudStack treasury;)
Even then you won’t get a premium spot so you may end up speaking to 30 people, not a lot
of leverage traveling to a conference for a few days to speak to that small a crowd. Then
the follow-up most companies that are successful scan names and follow-up with newsletters
and such. We struggle keeping a simple list server running reliably some months.

My point being their needs to be an end-to-end marketing program for CloudStack otherwise
your speaking idea or Harm’s golf junkets or whatever the effort will probably not be effective.

Mark

On Jun 24, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Harm
> I know where you're coming from (but golf is a silly idea  -stupid & frustrating
game :-) )

> In all seriousness, that comment by Barb Darrow stuck in my throat. Because its true.
>
> But *why* do we expect any different ? What are we doing to
>
> Here's the problem: we put a lot of effort into attending/sponsoring/speaking at opensource
conferences. That certainly has value, and IMO we should continue to do so. We're opensource
guys, its our natural hunting ground. But CIO's don't go to these.

> What we don't do however, is focus much on "the events that CIO's will be at". They don’t
have to be literally CIO's: these are the business focussed events, where people wear suits
not monkey tee-shirts

> We've got people who are capable of going and doing such talks, we're just not getting
the opportunities

> Recently Chris Reid took the initiative on getting a speaking slot at such a conference
[1]. Chris had to effectively cold-call the event organisers and pursued them to let him talk
about ACS.

> In theory, there's nothing to stop any of us doing such cold calling, but it is hugely
inefficient & I think will have a low hit rate. What I would love to do is:

> a)identify a list of people who have metaphoric suits in their closets
> b)identify a list of such events
> c) Get Sally (if that’s OK with Sally) to approach the organisers on some form of formal
basis (I know we have rules around representing [or not] the project, but we'd need to figure
something out). Hopefully this should get us many more hits

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/utuj64ezvw6xx2c2
>

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

day sponsored by Citrix and invite some of these C-levels).

> I bet you can arrange something around that with the Linux Foundation.
> Instead of trying to get the C-levels to our conferences, let's go to their golf courses.
>
> Invite the OpenNebula's / OpenStacks / CloudStacks and let the customers talk about their
experiences with either.
> Would be great if that could be pulled off.
>
> Harm
>
> I don't personally play golf, I know Arjan does :-).

Structure about open source clouds.

> GigaOm - It's time to stop the open-on-open violence in cloud computing
>
> http://clds.co/1ieE80f
>
> Tidbits from the panel(video at bottom of the article):
>
> 9:30 - Chris Kemp, Nebula/OpenStack - "OpenStack is a toolkit not a product."
> 13:00 - Barb Darrow, GigaOm "In terms of CIOs OpenStack has won the war"
> 13:30 - Marten Mickos/Eucalyptus,"If you have too much money you buy VMware, if you have
too much time you use OpenStack"