From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What's Our Battle Cry? CloudStack the Cloud that Just Works
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 17:32:31 GMT
Chris,

The big difference is that OpenDaylight has a full-time staff(Neela’s day job is to work
on OpenDaylight, they have PR, events and project management) they are a stand alone non-profit
managed by the Linux Foundation who also has a full-time support staff and they raised over
$5 million to drive awareness and have recruited 100s of engineers to help develop the project.
(I know this because Citrix is a founding member and the financial commitment as well as head
count.)

In contrast the Apache Software Foundation is totally volunteer run and has a few contractors
and a total annual budget of approximately ~$900,000.

To this end I believe that the Apache PMC made a proposal that we need more capabilities to
promote our project and build that confidence. Unfortunately as I understand it over a month
later there is no real movement on this front. That’s very disappointing to me.

I agree with your premise wholeheartedly that this needs to happy but as it stands today the
ASF as I see has neither the capability or the resources to drive these type of things.  Also
I’d love to create a marketing organization to promote Apache CloudStack if the PMC would
be willing to explore that I have a decent size budget that I could put forward to help doing
this. Right now there just isn’t a good way to direct funding to an Apache project and if
there was there isn’t the infrastructure to direct it.

I’ll join the firing line with you Chris if anyone wants to take a shot.

Regards,  Mark