From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What's Our Battle Cry? CloudStack the Cloud that Just Works
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 18:17:21 GMT

On Jun 2, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Chris REID <chris@pointgreen.biz> wrote:

> Last week I attended the SDN/NFV World Summit in London, giving both a
> presentation on Cloudstack and being part of an Expert Panel, with Neela
> Jacques of OpenDaylight and Sharar Steiff of PCCW Global.
>

> I attempted to engage as many folks as possible on the topic of Cloudstack,
> and understand the motivation and direction of senior folks within global
> Service Providers.
>
> The constant message was 'Openstack is the defacto VM orchestration
> platform' with speaker after speaker referencing the recent US OpenStack
> event.
>

> Cloudstack had 3 mentions in the 3 days I was present.
>

> Yes, in conversation many folks knew about Cloudstack and its high
> availability/reliability, however when I inquired 'why not try Cloudstack?'
> the consistent response was 'we hardly every hear from Cloudstack; you are
> never at any events, there is little or no promotion'. It is a confidence
> issue.

I have been in those events before, and you are totally right Chris. This is especially true
of trade shows like events and the *expos.

Apache CloudStack does not have a budget and cannot pay for folks/companies to attend events
and speak on behalf of the project.
So for every event there is, we need to rely on community members to fight the battle and
represent the project. It's an uphill battle.
I wish I could tell you that we are gaining ground, but the plain truth is that we are getting
hammered and becoming irrelevant (here I said it).

The Citrix open source business office invests in open source events to outreach to the developer
community, but there is little done to reach out
to the business world. And it's a vicious circle because as the business choosing openstack,
the developers also choose openstack and our dev community does not grow or very slowly.

CloudStack users have day jobs and most of the time don't have time or budget to invest to
represent an OSS project. There are many examples of this.

The CloudStack PMC is working hard to convince the Apache board that we need mechanisms to
raise funding and direct it at CloudStack, but this is a major shift
from Apache way of doing things, mission and some would say values. This change if it were
to happen will not happen overnight. We are talking about changing
some core mechanisms of probably the oldest OSS foundation, so if you want a timeline then
think about a year, not weeks.

Move the topic away from CloudStack and compare the website of ASF and the linux foundation
and tell me which one is more business friendly...

So yes, #cloudstackworks but who cares ?