From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Use of CloudStack Wordmark on CloudStack Works T-shirts
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:26:53 GMT
Answers in line.

> On Jun 6, 2014, at 9:15 AM, "Chip Childers" <chipchilders@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:47:27AM -0400, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>> (Note mixed private/public lists)
>>
>> Indeed, marketing@cloudstack is doing great taking care of first line
>> questions for Apache CloudStack. 8-)
>>
>> Karen's Citrix sponsored shirt design looks fine for me.  Two questions to
>> ponder:
>>
>> - Is the use of cloudstack.org on the back intentional?  Traditionally I
>> would think this should be cloudstack.apache.org to help enforce the Apache
>> branding, especially since there aren't any other Apaches on the shirt
>> design.
>
> Karen, this was brought up by another PMC member on our private@ list
> and after thinking about it last night, I tend to agree with the comment
> as well.  Can you change it to cloudstack.apache.org?  cloudstack.org does
> redirect to our cs.a.o site, but it's best to continue to ensure a link
> between CS and Apache.

Honestly it's an aesthetics thing to me but we'll do as directed but for my money I think
the URL looks awkward.

>> This is not necessarily a problem; in particular this PMC has shown you're
>> very aware and respectful of all our brands.  But it is something I'd hope
>> to see the thought process on.
>>
>> - We should be clear that the #cloudstackworks (great!) slogan is being
>> managed by the PMC *for* the Apache CloudStack project itself, and is not
>> going to become a Citrix slogan or trademark *about* the project.

Citrix nor anyone at Citrix that I know of is trying to or will ever try to create a derivative
mark of CloudStack or any Apache brand. We are simply trying to drive awareness of CloudStack.

> I'll let people from CTXS comment on this, since it was first suggested
> by Mark on our marketing@cs.a.o list.  IMO, I'd like it to be a project
> item. That said, I don't think there is a material difference in the
> end.  We're not really talking about a mark, but instead about a
> "hashtag" intended to help raise awareness.
>
> Shane, is there any specific consideration WRT mark management that
> matters here?
>
>> Again: this is just a reminder of something that I'm betting the PMC (and
>> Karen and other Citrix marketing folks have nicely shown) know quite well
>> and are doing the right way already. 8-)
>>
>> Thanks and looking forward to more,
>> - Shane
>>

>>> On 6/5/14 10:35 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
>>> Thanks for forwarding to tm@ Sally! We usually have requests like this
>>> come to the CloudStack lists first, so we can take first crack at any
>>> issues the PMC might have (similar to how Shane usually adds the related
>>> PMC after a request is made directly to tm@). A PMC member usually
>>> reviews the request and copies in tm@ for formal approval (except for
>>> event sponsorships, which are in our policy as a PMC ACK with 72 hour
>>> lazy consensus based approval).
>>>
>>> Karen,
>>>
>>> Looks great to me! We will need a clear approval from Shane on this due
>>> to ASF-wide policy for approval of "goods" using the marks.
>>>
>>> Shane (or trademarks committee, or PMC), any concerns? If none, we need
>>> your approval please Shane!
>>>

>>> On Thursday, June 5, 2014, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com
>>> <mailto:sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   __
>>>   Hi Karen --I'm copying ASF Brand Management here as
>>>   trademark-related items fall under their domain.
>>>
>>>   Thanks in advance, trademarks@, for your help here!
>>>
>>>   - Sally
>>>
>>>   [From the mobile; please excuse spelling/spacing errors and brevity]

to request permission to use the CloudStack wordmark on the t-shirts. Here's a mockup of the
t-shirt for review:http://i.imgur.com/M2Sda5x.jpg