From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: ACS in Africa - recent Cloud World Forum event
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:20:50 GMT

On Jun 13, 2014, at 6:25 AM, Dan Crowe <dan.crowe@shapeblue.com<mailto:dan.crowe@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:

Hi all

I attended the Cloud World Forum event in Johannesburg on Tue & Wed this week, and wanted
to highlight a couple of things.

Firstly, the audience here is extremely receptive to the concept of IaaS (we’re behind many
other markets), the local telcos and service providers were very well represented and the
FOSS message is understood and generally accepted.

Concern is that amongst all the vendor messages, the running theme was OpenStack is the only
orchestration solution in town, in fact the only mention of CloudStack was a question from
me to which the reply was that CloudStack is confined and not viable.

Sub saharan Africa is most definitely ready to start mass build out, and at this early stage,
while the market is ’tuned in’ and receptive I feel there must be a presence and a voice
for ACS or the battle will be lost before it begins.

I am building the CloudStack user community in South Africa with our first user group meeting
today in Cape Town, but feel we need:

  1.  A presence at the bigger events in SA - (AfricaCom is the next, November 11-13th) Can
we consider a stand at this event? Has the project got any budget to do things like this ?

The project has no budget.  Anything that is done to promote CloudStack is done by volunteers
and donated but only with the permission of the ACS PMC.

Mark

  1.  A high profile African case study (I am working on this!) but do we know of any right
now?  There are a number of users attending this evening that I will be speaking to about
raising their profile, but would be good to be able to namecheck other sub saharan users we
know of.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan Crowe
Managing Consultant, South Africa

OFFICE: +27 (0) 21 527 0091
M: +27 (0) 7977 04085

D<mailto:dan.crowe@shapeblue.com>an.crowe@shapeblue.com<mailto:dan.crowe@shapeblue.com>
| www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

ShapeBlue SA (Pty) Ltd, Unit 209 Pinehurst, Somerset Links Office Park, De Beers Avenue, Somerset
West, Cape Town 7130