From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [disucss] approval of trademark enquiries
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:19:51 GMT

I don’t think the current “customer experience” of people who request use of our logo
or word mark is very good.  It certainly doesn’t encourage people to use our brand. Take
Karens recent request: theres been a dozen or so emails on it, all with our own viewpoint.
Karen’s been CC’d on most of those I think. Shes probably sat there, with 1001 deadlines
getting frustrated with lots of views on the subject – all she really wants to do is get
some tshirts printed in time for some event or another.
And Karen does this a lot: I remember the guys at Ikoula

At the moment, the TM guide says this for non-software:

• Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the CloudStack marks may not
be sold.
• Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and approval from trademarks@apache.org.

I would love to see that changed to:
If you wish to use the CloudStack mark on any non-software goods (maybe tee shirts for a conference
or some marketing collateral) we’d love to see you do that. Please email private@cs.a.o
 with artwork or a descrition and we’ll come back to you with approval within 5 days. You
must not print until we have approval blah blah

The  PMC then can discuss internally if required (vote if required) and send a mail of to
Shane and get back to requestor with a simple yes/no

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO