From Go Chiba <go.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache CloudStack Tearsheet
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 15:03:44 GMT
Hi Sally,

It's great!
Can you send MS Word format? I'd like to share it with local members.

-Go Chiba

from my iPhone

2014/06/18 22:49、Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> のメッセージ:

> Hello, everyone --
>
> As part of my working with media/analysts on All Things Apache, and the inclusion of
Apache CloudStack to my list of "hot" and newsworthy items, I've created a tearsheet that
can be used as a leave behind (digitally or physically) as well as a quick point of reference.

> Below is the plaintext version; I'm also happy to forward a Word or ODF or PDF
> format to you upon request.
>
> Also, if you are aware of additional users/deployments that are not listed below, do
let me know :-)

> Thanks in advance for your continued support!
> -Sally
>
> = = =
>
> Introducing Apache CloudStack™
> The mature, Open Source turnkey software platform used for creating Infrastructure-as-a-Service
(IaaS) cloud computing in private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.
> Faster to the Cloud
> As organizations move towards cloud computing services to alleviate the burden of managing/maintaining
legacy systems, equipment, and networking, many are choosing IaaS solutions to help reduce
costs whilst minimizing business layer repercussions. ZDNet projects that enterprises will
spend $650M for enterprise public cloud IaaS by 2018.
> To facilitate the cloud transition, IaaS combines compute and cloud storage, where the
hardware (or virtual machines), computing power, cooling, and networking are outsourced; users
of IaaS solutions control the stack required to operate it, such as the operating system,
virtual machines, storage, database servers, Web servers, load-balancing, monitoring, reporting,
logging, middleware, hardware/software upgrades, patches, security fixes, licensing, etc.

> The cloud offers massive computing power. The challenge, however, is that many of today's
cloud management platforms are cumbersome and difficult to deploy, making it an often frustrating
and resource-intensive investment.
> Apache CloudStack is designed to deploy quickly and manage large networks of virtual
machines as a highly available, highly scalable cloud computing platform. CloudStack integrates
easily with other technologies, and includes the entire "stack" of features most organizations
are seeking with an IaaS cloud:
>     elegant, Java-based framework
>     compute orchestration
>     advanced Network-as-a-Service functionality
>     user and account management
>     a full and open native API (compatible with Amazon Web Services Elastic Compute
Cloud (EC2) for organizations that wish to deploy hybrid clouds)
>     resource accounting
>     choice of first-class User Interface, command line tools, or full-featured RESTful
API to delegate and create self-service offerings
>     scalability (production instances with greater than 40,000 hosts in geographically-distributed
environments)
>     user-led development and deployment documentation
>     supports the most popular hypervisors (including VMware, KVM, XenServer, Xen Cloud
Platform (XCM), and Hyper-V to run the virtual machines as guests)
> Apache CloudStack: The Cloud That Just Works!
> "CloudStack is gaining better 'real world' adoption … because it's actually usable
in its current form without special effort"
> –Gartner Group
> Apache CloudStack is widely used in production by many service providers to set up on-demand,
elastic public cloud computing services, as well as enterprises to set up a private or hybrid
cloud for use by their own employees. In addition, CloudStack is available to individuals
and organizations that wish to study and implement an IaaS for personal, educational, and/or
production use.
> Apache CloudStack users power billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually
across their clouds, and benefit from:
> -    Proven technology –CloudStack is among the earliest IaaS solutions developed,
with many long-term, large deployments that prove its stability and scalability
> -    Stable codebase –the latest release reflects more than 1.5M lines of code from
170 contributors
> -    Easy deployment –a Fortune 50 multinational had CloudStack up, running, and usable
within in a single day, as opposed to weeks using competing IaaS solutions
> -    Highly scalable –CloudStack’s orchestration platforms have been used to scale
to [@@what is the right/best example to use here? Uri Cohen’s 200K concurrent users at peak?
Something else?]
> -    Flexibility –CloudStack is designed to handle the spectrum of application/cloud
styles that span "legacy virtualization" through "cloud-native" style workloads, depending
on how the cloud operator designs the infrastructure environment(s) and configures CloudStack
to offer services
> -    Reliability –CloudStack accommodates for redundancy and resiliency, providing
faster recovery and response time; Europe’s first CloudStack deployment has been running
consecutively for over 14 months at 100% uptime
> -    Robust community –openly developed "The Apache Way", CloudStack is overseen by
a diverse, active, meritocratic community
> CloudStack originated at Cloud.com, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack
was submitted to the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and graduated as an Apache Software Foundation
Top-level Project in March 2013.
> Global Footprint
> Since its introduction nearly six years ago, Apache CloudStack has become the go-to Open
Source platform for a wide range of users such as 1 degreenorth, 5th Planet, Accudata Systems,
Acentrix,  Add Value, Alcatel-Lucent, Amdocs, Anolim, Apalia, Appcore, Appdel, AppSphere,
Ascenty, ASG, AST Modular, Autodesk, AXEKA, Axelaris, Backbone Technology, BT Cloud, BT Engage
IT, Bechtle AG, Business Connexion, CANCOM, Centracon, CentralWay, China Telecom, Citrix,
Clavis IT, Cloud3, Cloudera, CloudOps, COMBIS, COMLINE Computer + Softwarelösungen, COMPAREX,
Comping, Computer Services Group, Contegix, Control Circle, Convergence Group, Datacentrix,
DataPipe, Dell, Digital China Advanced Systems, Disney, e-Contact, Edmunds.com, Entisys Solutions,
Evry, EXA Serve, Exoscale, Experteq IT Services, FPG Technologies & Solutions, Fritz &
Macziol, GreenQloud, Grid'5000, Hokkaido University, Homeaway, Hostbill, Huawei, IDC Frontier,
Ikoula, IndiQus Technologies, InMobi,
> ISWest, Joe’s Cloud Computing, Juniper Networks, KDDI, KocSistem, Kommunale Informatoinsverarbeitung
Baden-Franken, KT/Korea Telecom, Kumo, Kyuden Infocom, Kyushu University, LCS, LeaseWeb, Makro
Factory oHG, MCPc, Microland Ltd, NAMU Tech, NEOS, Networkers AG, Nokia, NTT, NVision Group,
OpenERP, Orange, OverBright, Ozona Consulting, PCextreme, PosAm, PPTV, PromonLogicalis, Proteus,
RedBridge, Redapt, Safe Swiss Cloud, Scalr, Schuberg Philis, sepago GmbH, ShapeBlue, Shopzilla,
Slovak Telekom, SoftLayer, SoftwareONE, SolidFire Storage, Stratosec, SunGard AS, SwiftStack,
Taiwan Mobile, Targus Technologies, Tata, TNTG Limited, Trader Media Group, TrendMicro/TCloud
Computing, Tendril, TomTom, UniSystems, University of Melbourne, University of Sao Paolo,
Verizon, Xtendsys, WebMD, Zenoss, and Zynga, among others.
> Products + Availability
> The latest Apache CloudStack release is v4.3.0, which reflects dozens of new features,
bug fixes, and documentation updates. Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey v5.1.0 is the latest feature
release of its command line interface tool. As with all Apache products, Apache CloudStack
software is released under the Apache License v2.0.
> Governance and Oversight
> Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project.
A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including
community development and product releases.
> Get Involved!
> Underscoring the ASF's edict of "Community over Code", Apache CloudStack boasts a very
diverse and open community comprising participants from around the globe. All contributors
are on an equal footing, whether they are writing code or helping with other aspects of the
project.
> The many ways to get involved with the Apache CloudStack community include participating
online on mailing lists as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, developer trainings, and
user events. Information on the CloudStack community can be found at http://cloudstack.apache.org/
and @CloudStack on Twitter.
> Catch CloudStack in action at the next CloudStack Collaboration Conference, the official
user/developer conference of the Apache CloudStack community, taking place November 19 - 21,
2014, in tandem with ApacheCon Europe. To register and for more information, visit http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-collaboration-conference-europe
and follow conference updates at @CCCEU14 on Twitter.
> About Apache CloudStack
> Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
Open Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud
environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive
user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure
resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level
Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache
CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack
> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> Apache products power half the Internet, exabytes of data, teraflops of operations, billions
of objects, and enhance the lives of countless users and developers world-wide. Established
in 1999 to shepherd, develop, and incubate Open Source innovations "The Apache Way", the ASF
oversees 170+ projects led by an all-volunteer community of over 400 individual Members and
3,500 Committers across six continents. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/
or follow @TheASF on Twitter.
> # # #
> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", the Apache
CloudStack logo, and the Apache CloudStack Cloud Monkey logo are registered trademarks or
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.