From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CloudStack infographic
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 00:36:25 GMT
That is fantastic Amy!

Some specific comments below:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:50:28PM -0500, Amy Lindberg wrote:
> I am thinking about creating an inforgraphic that includes information
> about CloudStack. Below is a list of items that I could like to include.
> Anyone know where I can gather this info?
>

>    1. Release date and version since the project started

Hmmm...  that's a really good request.  Here is the list for *Apache*
CloudStack. Remember that this was a commercial product from cloud.com
first, then an OSS project at Citrix and now at Apache.  Perhaps someone
from Citrix would be able to offer a listing of the pre-ASF releases
(significant vs. bug fix) to Amy?

Here's the Apache CloudStack list:

4.0.0-incubating - Nov 6, 2012
4.0.1-incubating - Feb 12, 2013
4.0.2 - April 24, 2013
4.1.0 - June 5, 2013
4.1.1 - Aug 6, 2013
4.2.0 - Oct 1, 2012
4.2.1 - Jan 10, 2014
4.3.0 - Mar 25, 2014

>    2. Number of countries using CloudStack

That's exceptionally hard to know, since we can only really track some
of our download activity.  That said, there's discussion about trying to
pull together some details from the package download logs.

>    3. Number of contributors

Contributors is another difficult question.  We can say that there are
290 different email addresses listed as contributors to the *code* right
now.  I'd use the term "code contributors", because honestly...  you're
a contributor as well here (just with marketing support, not code)!

>    4. Number of lines of code

We're actually debating how to measure this correctly right now.  There
are some files in the codebase that need to be excluded, because they
are auto-generated...  I believe Rohit did some better line counting
recently.  Rohit, care to share?

>    5. Uses for the platform (e-commerce, media, industrial)

Anywhere that an IaaS platform can be useful.  Obviously service
providers are a significant user-base for CloudStack.  Additionally,
there are plenty of "private cloud" environments as well...  Spanning
multiple industries.

>    6. Larger enterprise using CloudStack (I know that Giles compiled a
>    list, is there any other that I should include?

The list that he has is reasonable, however we want to start figuring
out how to effectively add as many users as possible here.  For example,
I spoke with some of the AppCore folks at HostingCon, and suggested that
you guys/gals would be super awesome if you could poll your customers to
see how many would be willing to be listed as Apache CloudStack users.

It's also likely that Gile's list will need some massaging, as we pull
out those that are less "users" and more "integrate with or work on".