From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Use of CloudStack Wordmark on CloudStack Works T-shirts
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:14:56 GMT
On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:47:27AM -0400, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> (Note mixed private/public lists)
>
> Indeed, marketing@cloudstack is doing great taking care of first line
> questions for Apache CloudStack. 8-)
>
> Karen's Citrix sponsored shirt design looks fine for me.  Two questions to
> ponder:
>
> - Is the use of cloudstack.org on the back intentional?  Traditionally I
> would think this should be cloudstack.apache.org to help enforce the Apache
> branding, especially since there aren't any other Apaches on the shirt
> design.

Karen, this was brought up by another PMC member on our private@ list
and after thinking about it last night, I tend to agree with the comment
as well.  Can you change it to cloudstack.apache.org?  cloudstack.org does
redirect to our cs.a.o site, but it's best to continue to ensure a link
between CS and Apache.

> This is not necessarily a problem; in particular this PMC has shown you're
> very aware and respectful of all our brands.  But it is something I'd hope
> to see the thought process on.
>
> - We should be clear that the #cloudstackworks (great!) slogan is being
> managed by the PMC *for* the Apache CloudStack project itself, and is not
> going to become a Citrix slogan or trademark *about* the project.

I'll let people from CTXS comment on this, since it was first suggested
by Mark on our marketing@cs.a.o list.  IMO, I'd like it to be a project
item. That said, I don't think there is a material difference in the
end.  We're not really talking about a mark, but instead about a
"hashtag" intended to help raise awareness.

Shane, is there any specific consideration WRT mark management that
matters here?

> Again: this is just a reminder of something that I'm betting the PMC (and
> Karen and other Citrix marketing folks have nicely shown) know quite well
> and are doing the right way already. 8-)
>
> Thanks and looking forward to more,
> - Shane
>

> On 6/5/14 10:35 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> >Thanks for forwarding to tm@ Sally! We usually have requests like this
> >come to the CloudStack lists first, so we can take first crack at any
> >issues the PMC might have (similar to how Shane usually adds the related
> >PMC after a request is made directly to tm@). A PMC member usually
> >reviews the request and copies in tm@ for formal approval (except for
> >event sponsorships, which are in our policy as a PMC ACK with 72 hour
> >lazy consensus based approval).
> >
> >Karen,
> >
> >Looks great to me! We will need a clear approval from Shane on this due
> >to ASF-wide policy for approval of "goods" using the marks.
> >
> >Shane (or trademarks committee, or PMC), any concerns? If none, we need
> >your approval please Shane!
> >

> >On Thursday, June 5, 2014, Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com
> ><mailto:sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> >
> >    __
> >    Hi Karen --I'm copying ASF Brand Management here as
> >    trademark-related items fall under their domain.
> >
> >    Thanks in advance, trademarks@, for your help here!
> >
> >    - Sally
> >
> >    [From the mobile; please excuse spelling/spacing errors and brevity]

request permission to use the CloudStack wordmark on the t-shirts. Here's a mockup of the
t-shirt for review:http://i.imgur.com/M2Sda5x.jpg