From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [disucss] approval of trademark enquiries
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 19:46:00 GMT
On Fri, Jun 6, 2014, at 09:19 AM, Giles Sirett wrote:

> I don’t think the current “customer experience” of people who request use
> of our logo or word mark is very good.  It certainly doesn’t encourage
> people to use our brand. Take Karens recent request: theres been a dozen
> or so emails on it, all with our own viewpoint. Karen’s been CC’d on most
> of those I think. Shes probably sat there, with 1001 deadlines getting
> frustrated with lots of views on the subject – all she really wants to do
> is get some tshirts printed in time for some event or another.
> And Karen does this a lot: I remember the guys at Ikoula

Well, I agree with a lot of this - which is why I broke off my reply to
private@ only instead of replying-all.

We should absolutely have a policy of ACK'ing the request, then
discussing, then getting back to the party with any concerns we might
have once we agree on what they are. (It's been suggested that we have
one person who handles TM issues, primarily, but many folks were
concerned about the single point of failure. The flip side is "when
everybody's responsible, nobody is" and a potential for bike shedding.

> At the moment, the TM guide says this for non-software:
>
> • Without explicit written permission, goods bearing any of the
> CloudStack marks may not be sold.
> • Designs for non-software goods require both PMC approval and approval
> from trademarks@apache.org.
>
> I would love to see that changed to:
> If you wish to use the CloudStack mark on any non-software goods (maybe
> tee shirts for a conference or some marketing collateral) we’d love to
> see you do that. Please email private@cs.a.o  with artwork or a
> descrition and we’ll come back to you with approval within 5 days. You
> must not print until we have approval blah blah

s/come back to you with approval/come back with a decision/

I like setting a time frame, but... what happens if we don't hit it? You
wait another 5 days, because we're not doing lazy consensus with marks.
But we should *try* to turn around anything like this within 72 hours.
(At least 3 business days, not sure I want to commit to decisions by
Monday if someone shoots an email on Friday morning...)

> The  PMC then can discuss internally if required (vote if required) and
> send a mail of to Shane and get back to requestor with a simple yes/no

That is how it should go. I don't think it's a good idea to do the
discussion on marketing@ or spam the person making the request with the
full discussion.

Best,

jzb