From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Introduction; assistance with CloudStack outreach
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 14:01:05 GMT
On 05/07/2014 09:52 AM, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> For my edification, and to bolster my outreach activities, if you can
> please provide (or point me to) the following, that would be of help:
>
> - Apache CloudStack boilerplate --is there more than one version? Who
> owns this editorially?

This is the boilerplate used for 4.2.1. I *think* that's the one we've
been using for quite a while. Looks like it got dropped when the last
announcement was written up. (Sadly, off-list, it seems.)

Apache CloudStack is an integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and
private cloud environments. CloudStack includes an intuitive user
interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software,
and storage infrastructure resources. The project became an Apache top
level project in March 2013.

> - How we use it --demonstrate deployments of CloudStack that can be
> presented publicly. Do we have any whitepapers? Use cases?

Case studies here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Case+Studies

I don't think we've had any proper white papers, but I might be wrong on
that.

> Partners --testimonials, presentations from those who use CloudStack
> across different use cases/perspectives: software provider, service
> provider, end-user

Plenty, I think - I'll let other folks dig those up. Giles, Sebastien,
David, Mark, Chip?

>  - What does CloudStack mean to you? --5 word descriptors

Are you looking for 5 words like "stable, open, mature, community,
flexible" or "A mature open source IaaS"?

> - How is CloudStack better than other solutions? --who are the other
> players, both usual suspects as well as up-and-comers

Depends, I guess - you could say that ACS competes with OpenStack, or
AWS, or Eucalyptus, and/or VMware and Microsoft.

I will say that I would not go heavy on competitive marketing for ACS.
Right now, its primary challenge is still awareness - and I'd leave the
competitive approach to commercial entities that are out in the market
trying to win deals.

Best,

jzb
--