cloudstack-marketing mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Arjan Eriks <eriar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] cloudstack survey
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 07:59:36 GMT
Giles,

My comments / remarks:

What best describes your involvement with CloudStack (select)?
I would add the option / MSP or Integrator.

Line 66 addresses the enhancements. I would like to see this more 
explicit. What features are you missing?

What Operating systems?
- Please drill down a bit more to Linux flavours

What tools are you using
The tools you mention are imho random. Maybe make a selection for config 
managemnt tools (ansible/chef/puppet/salt/chengine). etc. etc.

Projects used:
Still a bit from the other small cloud provider

I wuold like to add a  question about some marketing. Can we contact you 
for a case study? Can we contact you for events/seminars/training?

Further than that, great start! I really would love to see the infographic!

Thanks, Arjan


> Chiradeep Vittal <mailto:Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>
> 16 May 2014 20:26
> We need insight into hypervisor types, networking mode (basic, 
> advanced with VLAN, advanced with SDN), storage protocols (ISCSI, 
> NFS), hardware types (white box, UCS, etc), guest types,
>
> From: Giles Sirett 
> <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>>
> Reply-To: 
> "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>" 
> <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Date: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM
> To: 
> "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>" 
> <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Subject: RE: [discuss] cloudstack survey
>
> All
>
> I spent some time yesterday discussing this with Sebastien and we 
> looked at our initial survey, Marks suggested survey and some others 
> for other projects
>
> We felt the best starting point was the current survey for another 
> iaas project (it’s a pretty minor project, you may not have heard it)
>
> Karen has copied the questions and I've just shared them in a google doc
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g2GFefjPiyazB9FQ80zr3AgC-kqlXtMo0xBKPHKCbRA/edit?usp=sharing
>
> (ive replaced ****stack with Cloudstack in the doc - but theres no 
> other changes, so bear in mind some answer lists (in fact some 
> questions) may not be relevant
>
>
> I would like to use this as a starting point for the questions for our 
> survey.
> Please discuss on this thread any changes, removals, additional 
> questions that you think should be asked.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Arjan Eriks [mailto:eriarjan@gmail.com]
> Sent: 15 May 2014 18:09
> To: 
> marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [discuss] cloudstack survey
>
> Giles,
>
> My response from my perspective is very positive for this initiative.
> Everything that gives a good and fair overview of the real situation 
> will give this community and product trust. Building this trust will 
> most probably help us getting more devs interested, but probably more 
> users first.
>
> If needed I can help with some analyses and transform / help 
> displaying data in a manner that is of use for the product and in the 
> language of our audience.
>
> So please go ahead. You are the PMC nowadays. Do you have a team to 
> work with already?
>
> Rgds, Arjan
>
>
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Giles Sirett 
> <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>>wrote:
>
> All
>
>
>
> I’ve had a few conversations with folks recently and there seems to be
> a desire to run another survey on Cloudstack adoption.
>
>
>
> I think this is a good idea.
>
>
>
> When we ran the last survey (June 2013), we had long debates on this
> list around the content of that survey, what questions should be asked
> and how we handle the data.
>
>
>
> Original discussion thread:
> http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/ras2w7kezaqxp2ii
>
>
>
>
>
> The end result was that I created this survey
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28BV97D
>
>
>
> and we then agreed that I would work with a PMC member in order to
> analyse and share the results back to the wider community. The source
> data was held in private@ for confidentiality.
>
>
>
> Since that survey, we only have anecdotal evidence of user adoption.
> This is something that we MUST change IMO
>
>
>
> My proposal is this:
>
> 1. We discuss on this list the format of that survey (using the
> existing one as a starting point) - what questions should be asked,
> what we wish to establish. From the previous discussions, different
> people had different objectives for the survey
>
> 2. We then leave that survey open on a rolling basis. We could link
> to it from cloudstack.a.o (“using Cloudstack? – tell us here”).
> Hopefully, this will feed data into the “whos using cloudstack”
>
> 3. As before, the raw data will be shared at @private level and
> analysis of that data for publication can be performed by a group of
> PMC folks
>
>
>
>
>
> Heres my initial comments on changes to the original (mine are mostly
> marketing related):
>
>
>
> 1. We should ask about their community involvement, whether they
> are signed up on mailing lists, etc (and can use this opportunity to
> TELL them about mailing lists)
>
> 2. Ask them what country they are based in (good for analysis)
>
> 3. If they are not the person who is responsible for making the
> “we can talk about it” decision: we should ask them who is
>
> 4. “In one line, describe what you use cloudstack for”
>
> 5. Ask them specifically if they would be prepared to do a case
> study around cloudstack
>
> 6. Update/more specific version numbers
>
> 7. Ask them WHY they chose cloudstack
>
> 8. Create a Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, French, Spanish,etc
> version of the survey (I can take on Portuguese & Spanish – will need
> help with the others)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Giles
>
>
>
> Giles Sirett
>
> *CEO*
>
>
>
> [image: Description: Mail Logo Bottom Align]
>
>
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +44 796 111 2055
>
>
>
> giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> | 
> www.shapeblue.com |
> Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>
>
>
>
>
> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
> services
>
> IaaS Cloud Design &
> Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework
> <http://shapeblue.com/csforge/> CloudStack Consulting
> <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training
> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
> not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related
> companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you
> must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show
> it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have
> received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated
> in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue
> Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in
> Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is 
> a registered trademark.
>
> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
> IaaS Cloud Design & 
> Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
> CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure 
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training 
> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are 
> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. 
> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do 
> not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related 
> companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you 
> must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show 
> it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have 
> received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated 
> in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company 
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue 
> Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in 
> Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is 
> a registered trademark.
>
>
> Giles Sirett <mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>
> 16 May 2014 18:35
> All
>
> I spent some time yesterday discussing this with Sebastien and we 
> looked at our initial survey, Marks suggested survey and some others 
> for other projects
>
> We felt the best starting point was the current survey for another 
> iaas project (it’s a pretty minor project, you may not have heard it)
>
> Karen has copied the questions and I've just shared them in a google doc
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g2GFefjPiyazB9FQ80zr3AgC-kqlXtMo0xBKPHKCbRA/edit?usp=sharing
>
> (ive replaced ****stack with Cloudstack in the doc - but theres no 
> other changes, so bear in mind some answer lists (in fact some 
> questions) may not be relevant
>
>
> I would like to use this as a starting point for the questions for our 
> survey.
> Please discuss on this thread any changes, removals, additional 
> questions that you think should be asked.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Arjan Eriks [mailto:eriarjan@gmail.com]
> Sent: 15 May 2014 18:09
> To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [discuss] cloudstack survey
>
> Giles,
>
> My response from my perspective is very positive for this initiative.
> Everything that gives a good and fair overview of the real situation 
> will give this community and product trust. Building this trust will 
> most probably help us getting more devs interested, but probably more 
> users first.
>
> If needed I can help with some analyses and transform / help 
> displaying data in a manner that is of use for the product and in the 
> language of our audience.
>
> So please go ahead. You are the PMC nowadays. Do you have a team to 
> work with already?
>
> Rgds, Arjan
>
>
> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
> IaaS Cloud Design & 
> Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
> CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure 
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training 
> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are 
> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. 
> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do 
> not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related 
> companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you 
> must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show 
> it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have 
> received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated 
> in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company 
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue 
> Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in 
> Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is 
> a registered trademark.
> Arjan Eriks <mailto:eriarjan@gmail.com>
> 15 May 2014 19:08
> Giles,
>
> My response from my perspective is very positive for this initiative. 
> Everything that gives a good and fair overview of the real situation 
> will give this community and product trust. Building this trust will 
> most probably help us getting more devs interested, but probably more 
> users first.
>
> If needed I can help with some analyses and transform / help 
> displaying data in a manner that is of use for the product and in the 
> language of our audience.
>
> So please go ahead. You are the PMC nowadays. Do you have a team to 
> work with already?
>
> Rgds, Arjan
>
>
>
> Giles Sirett <mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>
> 7 May 2014 12:03
>
> All
>
> I’ve had a few conversations with folks recently and there seems to be 
> a desire to run another survey on Cloudstack adoption.
>
> I think this is a good idea.
>
> When we ran the last survey (June 2013), we had long debates on this 
> list around the content of that survey, what questions should be asked 
> and how we handle the data.
>
> Original discussion thread: 
> http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/ras2w7kezaqxp2ii
>
> The end result was that I created this survey
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/28BV97D
>
> and we then agreed that I would work with a PMC member in order to 
> analyse and share the results back to the wider community. The source 
> data was held in private@ for confidentiality.
>
> Since that survey, we only have anecdotal evidence of user adoption. 
> This is something that we MUST change IMO
>
> My proposal is this:
>
> 1.We discuss on this list the format of that survey (using the 
> existing one as a starting point)  - what questions should be  asked, 
> what we wish to establish. From the previous discussions, different 
> people had different objectives for the survey
>
> 2.We then leave that survey open on a rolling basis. We could link to 
> it from cloudstack.a.o (“using Cloudstack? – tell us here”).
> Hopefully, this will feed data into the “whos using cloudstack”
>
> 3.As before, the raw data will be shared at @private level and 
> analysis of that data for publication can be performed  by a group of 
> PMC folks
>
> Heres my initial comments on changes to the original (mine are mostly 
> marketing related):
>
> 1.We should ask about their community involvement, whether they are 
> signed up on mailing lists, etc (and can use this opportunity to TELL 
> them about mailing lists)
>
> 2.Ask them what country they are based in (good for analysis)
>
> 3. If they are not the person who is responsible for making the “we 
> can talk about it” decision: we should ask them who is
>
> 4.“In one line, describe what you use cloudstack for”
>
> 5.Ask them specifically if they would be prepared to do a case study 
> around cloudstack
>
> 6.Update/more specific version numbers
>
> 7.Ask them WHY they chose cloudstack
>
> 8.Create a Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, French, Spanish,etc version 
> of the survey (I can take on Portuguese & Spanish – will need help 
> with the others)
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Giles
>
> Giles Sirett
>
> *CEO*
>
> Description: Mail Logo Bottom Align
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +44 796 111 2055
>
> giles.sirett@shapeblue.com <mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>| 
> www.shapeblue.com <http://www.shapeblue.com/>| Twitter:@shapeBlue 
> <https://twitter.com/#%21/shapeblue>
>
> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
> IaaS Cloud Design & Build 
> <http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework <http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
> CloudStack Consulting <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure Support 
> <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses 
> <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are 
> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. 
> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do 
> not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related 
> companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you 
> must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show 
> it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have 
> received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated 
> in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company 
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue 
> Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in 
> Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is 
> a registered trademark.

Mime
View raw message