From Arjan Eriks <eriar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SDN talk
Date Tue, 06 May 2014 19:06:53 GMT
Chris,

 From my perspective key messages are the following (simplified).

The business is always undergoing change. The fact is that change is
always coming quicker and more drastic. This means for the CIO that he
has less time to adjust and to adopt. He basically needs to move from
reactive to proactive.

For this change he needs a number of things. Most of all a robust
platform that has loads of flexibility. CloudStack has proven to be this
platform. Especially on new style apps and on IaaS. Robust is not only
about availability, but also on security (and compliance / audit / control).

Having that said there are some challenges for the old fashioned
application landscapes that needs to be migrated to CloudStack
environments. Solutions are twofold. Either you adjust your cloud
environment a little to overcome those issues (e.g. sync storage), or
you adjust your application landscape with some refreshes.

A hybrid model is a solution as well. And Hybrid models with SDN work
best (not so intrusive). We always give examples of the old environments
with SDN enabled and a fresh cloud environment with SDN enabled with the
same IP space.

This gives the corporate world the opportunities to move forward at the
pace they like.

 From a support perspective ShapeBlue/Citrix are there to the rescue.
That should not be an issue as well.

 From an open source perspective, vendor lock in is way lower. And out
of pocket is way lower as well.

For the rest all the standard cloud benefits (google on it).

Hope this helps.

Rgds, Arjan