From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Apache Objectives
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:50:31 GMT
Let me see if this response gets you any further. Essentially the tenants
of 'the Apache Way' are:

So first there is the mission of the ASF - releasing software, free of
charge to the public.

Some of the tenants of the Apache Way are:
* Consensus-based decision making
* Meritocracy
* Collaborative development
* Peer-based
* Responsible oversight
* Pragmatism

So lets start with decision making. Generally in companies, or even some
open source projects you have a management chain that gets to make
decisions. At the ASF projects need to get consensus within their project.
This requires that the project actually work together to make progress, but
might mean that some decisions are made slower than others. Projects also
have a concept of veto for technical matters. This allows one person to
take a stand for a technical reason and put a stop to any code.

Now, as to who gets to make decisions. Employer doesn't dictate whether you
get a seat at the table, instead the Project Management Committee looks at
people who are doing work, and vote people to become committers, and for
folks who actually seem to care about governance of the project itself, to
the Project Management Committee. And that's really where technical
direction stops. The Project Management Committee runs the project. The
Foundation itself has some guidelines to comply with from a legal and brand
image perspective, but has no say in project decision making. The PMC is
responsible to the board to ensure that a healthy community environment is
present in the project, and that those legal and brand issues are complied
with, and that's essentially the oversight that's provided. We have a point
person who is responsible for liaising with the Board, in the form of our
PMC Chair.

The ASF is peer-based. That is, we don't recognize companies, we are all
individuals, and your title at $dayjob doesn't matter here. We are all
peers. We also do our work here, at the ASF, on the mailing lists,
collaboratively. People are actively discouraged from doing work in private
or excluding others from working with them and just showing up with
finished code.

Finally, pragmatism, the mission of projects at the ASF is to release
software. What folks do with our software is less of a concern, and we
accordingly have a very commercial-friendly license. This means that some
folks will take our code, make changes and those changes will never come
back to the project, and we are okay with that. If folks want to come
collaborate with us, they are welcome to, but we don't force people to.

Now, you asked for a presentation, and I don't know that I have one that
ties the ASF principles to ACS. You may find some interesting presentations
regarding the Apache Way here:
http://community.apache.org/speakers/slides.html

--David