From Prodosh Banerjee <prodosh.baner...@anolim.com>
Subject Re: Barriers to awareness
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 22:18:30 GMT
Dear Reuven,

Happy to provide your with feedback on your questions. I am with Safe Swiss Cloud (https://www.safeswisscloud.ch)
in Zürich, Switzerland where we have been running our public and private clouds on CloudStack
since 2012.

> How has the landscape for Cloud infrastructure changed?

Open platforms like CloudStack, OpenNebula and OpenStack are becoming the platforms of choice.
Customers are also showing more interest in cloud solutions based out of countries like Switzerland
with superior data privacy protections. Based on our evaluations and experience CloudStack
still provides superior functionality out of the box and is much easier to deploy and use.

> Is there room for closed platforms?

I wouldn’t use them. Having said that, AWS and Azure will continue to appeal to those with
huge investments in AWS or in the Microsoft software platform.

> How do you make money in a commoditized space?

By differentiating yourself from the competition. This means specializing in certain areas
and offering value added services on top of the infrastructure.

> Apps and Platforms, any comments?

Both will grow. We think that ultimately Apps running on “dedicated” cloud infrastructure
will do better than platforms, because of the superior flexibility developers will have with
the infrastructure. Platform will appeal to developers who want to get started quickly and
are willing to sacrifice some flexibility.

> Devs and Devops.. Are they the key to winning?

Absolutely. DevOps is revolutionising how software is conceived, developed, tested and deployed.
It is the key to agile IT and the cloud is a very important enabler for this.

> Community vs Code? Which matters more?

Where there is an active community like CloudStack, there is good code. The Apache Software
Foundation’s concept of being vendor neutral probably will give CloudStack a long term advantage.
This approach (as opposed to commercial consortia) has a good track record of building successful
software eco-systems around strong communities.

> What does the future hold?

Lots of cloud :)

I personally think that the trend of CPUs with many cores and the easy availability of cloud
infrastructure will trigger a revolution in parallel programming techniques and a move to
functional programming. Functional programming is a much better paradigm for parallel processing
and the expansion of the cloud means that FP will grow significantly in the future.

Hope this helps and thanks
Prodosh

Prodosh Banerjee
Managing Partner, Safe Swiss Cloud - a division of Anolim GmbH

Web:	https://www.safeswisscloud.ch
		http://www.anolim.com

Email:	p.banerjee@anolim.com
Tel: 		+41 43 541 5704

Twitter:    	@prodosh, @anolim
Google+:	https://plus.google.com/b/108174264108886930728/

On 14 Apr 2014, at 19:09, Reuven Cohen <reuven.cohen@citrix.com> wrote:

> Ok, here's what we'll do it. I'll write it and post it on my either my InformationWeek
or Forbes column depending on how it turns out.

> A little bit of crowd sourcing of some of the questions for the piece.
> Please help by sending me some thoughts.
>
> How has the landscape for Cloud infrastructure changed?
> Is there room for closed platforms?
> How do you make money in a commoditized space?
> Apps and Platforms, any comments?
> Devs and Devops.. Are they the key to winning?
> Community vs Code? Which matters more?
> What does the future hold?
>
> I'll try to write it over the next few days.
>
> ruv

We could try Louis Columbus st Forbes? What's the angle?