From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [MARKETING] Adding a prominent "Who uses CloudStack" link
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:57:41 GMT
John - wow, I didn't even know that page existed ( that's a sort of QED on the need to get
it on the website with direct navigation !)

I don't think we need to filter anybody out - IMO, the longer the list the better

We do need to ensure that at least all of these folks are on the list
http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/chipchilders/cloudstack-logo-slide

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kinsella [mailto:jlk@stratosec.co]
Sent: 29 April 2014 17:52
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [MARKETING] Adding a prominent "Who uses CloudStack" link

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30744222

I think the thing is how to differentiate "prominent" users...

On Apr 29, 2014, at 12:37 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

Prodosh

I think that it an excellent idea.
I am +1 on this idea

Something similar to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cassandra#Prominent_users

There are two questions:

1.  do we think that we need permission from the user organisations to create such a list
?
It would obviously be better to have their agreement (and maybe help with description of their
use-case)  but, from experience, this will greatly increase the effort/time and will reduce
the list size.
On the other hand, we *could* run the risk of alienating users if we publish without consulting
them.

>From my perspective, if it is simply a statement of fact that company x uses the technology,
there is nothing to stop us progressing.
Users who we know are reluctant to talk of their use, we can list in a similar way to Cassanda
lists Rackspace: "Rackspace is known to use Cassandra internally". Note the use of the words
"is known to"

I suggest that we do progress with this ASAP and then retrospectively contact those users
to tell them about their listing and give them chance to  either give input or ask for it
to be removed.

Does anybody strongly object to this idea?

2. Quite a few of our known users actually use a commercial distribution of CloudStack. From
my perspective, they are cloudstack users, whoever's distro  of the technology or support
they are buying.  I would like to see these users lumped in with other users.