From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request: Help designing a 'powered by' logo for CloudStack
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:03:29 GMT

On 17 Apr 2014, at 22:52 , Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Excellent!  I've been waiting for some projects to actually work on Powered By logos,
so this is great - and will take a little thought.

We had done these for CouchDB ages ago: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/couchdb/supplement/support-logo/
— I’m not sure if we had any trademarks counsel back then, but I just wanted to show them
as examples.

We don’t do a very good job of advertising them though :)

Best
Jan
--

> Short answer: yes, as long as the powered by variant of the logo makes sense from the
ways that you want third parties to use it, then make a proposal and we'll approve it.  I'm
confident marketing@cloudstack can figure out the right kind of design/text you need.

> ----
>
> Fundamentally, the "Powered By" concept is similar to Intel Inside(r) - that is, an official
project logo that is clearly related to, but not the same as the underlying Apache product's
logo.  This Powered By logo would be licensed very liberally for easy re-use by all sorts
of organizations using that Apache product.

> The only reason we call it Powered By is because the original concept came from the Apache
HTTP Server project long, long ago.

> So let's think about fundamentals (which obviously should get posted under /foundation/marks):
>
> - Design process is run by the PMC who may accept any design that the ASF can have trademark
rights to and follows applicable policies.

> - Any Powered By logo is a trademark of the ASF, held on behalf of the project.  Graphic
artists must be willing to give the ASF trademark rights and potentially copyright to the
logo (we are happy to give a license back to artist and give them credit, but to preserve
trademark rights we may need copyright assignment).

> - Must be different than the official product logo.
>
> - Must be clearly listed as an official Powered By logo for the project.
>
> - Should be related to the official product logo.
>
> - Should not include the feather unless the official product logo already has one.  (comments
on this one?)

> - Should suggest the operational relationship to where the logo is used: that is, the
graphical logo or additional text displayed on it should suggest the relationship between
the Apache product and the third party places where the logo is used.  (Powered By... the
Apache HTTP Server; plugin For Apache CloudStack, etc.)

> - May include text to make the relationship clear, but does not need to.
>
> - "Powered By" and "For" are preapproved as text additions if desired. Other text additions
may be requested by any PMC for Brand approval.  If you have some sort of phrase that makes
sense for your product and the ways that your product is used (plugins, frameworks, consultants,
trainers, whatever), let trademarks@ know and we'll approve it.

> - Must not imply organizational endorsement or affiliation from the ASF or the Apache
project.  Must not imply a controlling relationship, or other influence that may detract from
the Apache project's independent PMC governance model.

> - Must have a policy page on the project's website noting where their Powered By logo
may be used by third parties without permission.  Final review must include VP Brand or VP
Legal before calling policy official.

> - Must not include the word "Sponsor" without approval from VP, Fundraising.  That is,
ensure this doesn't improperly imply a sponsorship or funding relationship that conflicts
or is confusingly similar to http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

> What did I miss?  Anything seem off or needing changes?  Obviously, this needs to be
cleaned up and include some rationale before posting on the a.o site.