From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Barriers to awareness
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:24:11 GMT
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:08:03AM -0500, Amy Lindberg wrote:
> I know Appcore is newer to the Apache CloudStack community but we have been
> in the cloud space since 2008 and using CloudStack since. That being said,
> we have a few opportunities in the next couple months to exhibit at a few
> cloud events and would embrace the opportunity to co-brand or co-exhibit if
> anyone has an interest to continue to promote CloudStack. We want to help
> grow awareness of the CloudStack platform and would love to help in any way
> we can.
>
> Below are the events we are doing. If anyone is interested, please let me
> know.
>
> CloudExpo - New York, NY June 10-12
> http://www.cloudcomputingexpo.com/general/topics.htm
>
> HostingCon - Miami, FL June 16-18
> http://www.hostingcon.com/
>
> Thanks
>
> *Amy Lindberg*

Amy,

Thanks for sharing this.  Co-branding has to be done carefully, given
the ASF's vendor neutral stance.  That said, perhaps there is a way that
we can take advantage of your sponsorship of these events.  At a
minimum, perhaps adding "Powered by Apache CloudStack(tm)" to your
material would help?

I don't point out the vendor neutrality as a negative, just something to
be careful about.  FWIW, relevant trademark information can be found
here:

http://cloudstack.apache.org/trademark-guidelines.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/

We really do need as many companies are are interested, to show their
support for this platform.  The more users that stand up and say loudly,
we use CloudStack, the better.  Users are the strength of our community,
since we are not primarily a "vendor" community...  users are either (1)
saving money and time using CloudStack as a private cloud platform, or
(2) making money by using CloudStack as the underlying platform for
their services.  Either way, it's not the same as "we have some hardware
to sell, so here's how we tie it to CloudStack".

(And for those from a HW/SW vendor, please don't get me wrong. Your
support is welcome as well. The point is that we are diverse in how
CloudStack is valuable to each of us.)

-chip