From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject FW: linkedin group
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 20:08:12 GMT

Mark - I owe you an apology - bad choice of words, As always with these things, its often
easier  to notice the odd problem than the good work that's gone on for a long time

 I had looked a few times recently and there seemed to be a lot of this stuff there - hence
my comment

I'm happy to weigh in an help

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hinkle [mailto:Mark.Hinkle@citrix.com]
Sent: 06 January 2014 19:16
To: <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: linkedin group

Giles,

That's a little dramatic unless you see something I don't . There were some spam posts over
the last three days. Sorry no one jumped on that right away. I deleted four posts and blocked
the main spammer. that's hardly overrun.I typically delete spam weekly when I get my email
update from LinkedIn.

> We've just had a discussion on the Apache @marketing list and noticed
> recently that this community had become overrun with recruiters,
> weight loss adverts, etc and runs the risk of becoming a negative
> advertisement for the technology

If anyone wants to step up and help moderate the group please feel free to request access
through LinkedIn I am happy to grant access to anyone who is active here to do so. I just
changed your role and Chip's role to group manager so you can make anyone you want a moderator
or manager.

If you want to make it a committer thing too that's fine. I just hope that the activity doesn't
drop off like it did with the CloudStack Twitter account.

Mark

On Jan 6, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Just sent this to the original managers Will update here on progress
>
> Hi guys
>
> I'm writing about the CloudStack  Users group on linkedin.
> I understand that you guys, along with Scott Lindars and Alicia Rey
> are the Managers of this list  (Shannon, I think you're the actual
> owner)
>
> We've just had a discussion on the Apache @marketing list and noticed
> recently that this community had become overrun with recruiters,
> weight loss adverts, etc and runs the risk of becoming a negative
> advertisement for the technology
>
> This looks really bad (the group is still number 3 if you google "cloudstack user group"
) : it creates a pretty poor impression to the outside world.

> Are you able to either arrange somebody to regularly moderate it or allow some of the
ASF members to also become moderators. I know the ASF PMC don't see this linkedin group as
an official group (and I guess it dates from cloud.com days) , but somebody needs to get hold
of it IMO.