From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Establish Cloudstack User Group in Turkey
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:53:59 GMT
Hi Vahric

Sorry, I should have responded to you earlier.....things have been a little crazy with the
build up to CCCEU13

I've been running the CloudStack European User Group for nearly 2 years now.  We've got 280
members and have meetings every 3 months

We run a group on linkedin
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Cloudstack-European-User-Group-4294158?trk=my_groups-b-grp-v

and also a meetup group.
http://www.meetup.com/CloudStack-European-User-Group/

I'd happily give you access to either of these to help you with your organisation  of your
community

I also help Sebastien, Harm & Hugo with the BuildACloudDays . Also, I am happy to come
over to Istanbul with Sebastien,et al  to speak at your first event

Our meetings were 2 hours  - but we've recently moved to half days

A key thing when organising meetings is to acknowledge *who* your audience are going to be.
Are you going to try to build a developer focussed group or a user/operator focused group?
My advice is to keep it generic to start with and then you can go in the direction that the
members take the group

The content template we usually use is:

1. Roundup of Cloudstack news since last meeting
2. 1 x technical deep dive talk (i.e. on subject like networking, a certain piece of integration,
etc)
3. a talk from an "eco system" vendor doing something interesting
4. a talk from a cloudstack user (i.e. a company using the tech) on what they've been doing

This format has worked well.

My suggestion would be to start with a bang: try to organise (jointly with Sebastien? )  as
full day "Build a Cloud" style day with as many guest speakers as possible.
Sebastien and I did one recently and we did:

1. intro
2.cloudstack 101 for beginners
3. Cloudstack business use-cases
4. talk on ceph
5. talk on basho
6. intro to Cloudstack networking

I usually allow 8-10 weeks to promote a meeting

Hope this helps, please do ask if you need any further advice

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com