From Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyet...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:15:02 GMT
Hi,

If you remember https://projects.gnome.org/evolution/ has the monkey logo.

See few pics here at http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/ximian/Interesting. Isn't the monkey so
cute ?

From: sebgoa [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:10 PM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Pirate Monkey?

On Nov 27, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Arjan Eriks <eriarjan@gmail.com<mailto:eriarjan@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Guys,

I just joined the marketing list as co-organizer of the CCCEU13. And i was involved in the
logo design for the event as well (hence i recognize the monkey on the pirate shirt).

I like the pirate design very much. It gives some feeling about rebellion, being brave, different,
funny, adventurous and such. A lot of values you would like to have as an open source community.
We are not like the rest, we are making our own choices.

But for positioning CLoudStack as a top of the bill cloud product, that plays a role next
to OpenStack, AWS, Azure, IBM etc. etc.. I do not like the monkey logo that much. It just
feels too much like a comic book. A lot of open source products are not chosen on a C level,
but CloudStack is. Imho it should look robust, mature, proven, open, global... and maybe even
'enterprise' sometimes.

Really would like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks, Arjan

I am with you Arjan. I said it before, the monkey is cool but can be associated (in the western
world) with fun/joker and unreliable (totally biased prejudice of course).
The background of the monkey logo comes from "Journey to the West"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

Where you can read:
"...It deals entirely with the earlier exploits of Sun Wukong, a monkey born from a stone
nourished by the Five Elements, who learns the art of the Tao, 72 polymorphic transformations,
combat, and secrets of immortality, and through guile and force makes a name for himself"

Regarding the pirate, I think it's cool but I do share Harm's concern, and as with Gamma rays...we
have to be careful:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Single_event-upset

-Sebastien

[cid:image001.jpg@01CEEBB1.89099B50]      kelcey@backbonetechnology.com<mailto:kelcey@backbonetechnology.com>
    27 Nov 2013 14:36
Hahaha,

I'm in! All in the name of good clean fun ;).

Sent from my HTC