From Kelly Hair <kelly.h...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Things I didn't know.... (CloudStack Consumers)
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:02:56 GMT
Well.. Since it’s out there - yeah - there are customers that wish not to
publicly endorse so no Nascar slide inclusion & no talking about those
folks as a customer.   CloudPlatform (Citrix version) is used by more
enterprises & SPs than folks realize (latest count is > 200.)   Who knows
how many are using Apache CloudStack since we can only tabulate paying
customers.  I do know of three ACS customers in the NYC alone - WebMD,
Gilt Groupe & Spotify.

Why do people come out & talk about OpenStack & not
CloudStack/CloudPlatform?  I’m convinced that OpenStack = cult.  Once they
drink the juice, they want to tell others about how good the juice tastes
& how they should try it as well.  It has hype written all over it & when
someone questions the suitability of OS, they are seen as out of touch
with reality.

I think another aspect of why OpenStack customers evangelize OS may be
that once they’ve integrated & launched an OS cloud they want to tell the
world what they accomplished.  Sort of like when my 6 year old finishes
his latest lego project.  He’s very proud and wants me to know about it.
To further the analogy, I am happy to see how happy he is & will tell my
wife and perhaps extended family about his accomplishment.  Meanwhile, I’m
not as excited about un-packaging a toy encased in plastic since there’s
no challenge in that (minus those crappy plastic ties they use at times!)
So.. CloudStack is not as challenging, and hence, for technologists, not
as much of a shiny project in their eyes..