From Geralyn Miller <geralyn.mil...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack MS on Windows - thoughts?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:15:52 GMT
Adding to my earlier comment:

Yep, I saw that announcement. But, the  term "Windows Azure Pack" is a bit of a misnomer.
It is Service Bus and a few other "minor" things. It is not all of Azure (yet), e.g. it does
not include Table storage, Blob storage, etc.   I see little value in standing it up solely
for the marketing bang, because I'm just not sure who would care. Let's be honest...there
aren't all that many Azure apps right now, and Microsoft will do everything they can to keep
those apps up and running in the public cloud (in most cases they paid a lot of money to get
those apps there). So, I just don't see a lot of folks rushing to build on a feature-incomplete
on-prem Azure Pack. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

In my opinion, we should be focusing on  (1) robust support for HyperV and  (2) a hybrid cloud
story that shows the ability to either move Windows workloads between an on-prem CloudStack
instance and the large public clouds (Azure, AWS), or the ability to support workloads with
resources that span on-prem/off-prem .   If we want to do something  interesting and useful
to support the hybrid cloud story that touches Azure, then maybe it's worth looking at how
to leverage Service Bus to support transactional messaging between an on-prem ACS instance
and Azure public cloud. FWIW, Service Bus supports AMQP.

For some demo pizazz, I would write a native Win8 app or Windows Phone app with some of the
basic functionality of the ACS management console. So, the "demo" would be using a Win8 device
to spin up HyperV VMs (running Windows apps) on ACS, and having those on-prem apps passing
messages to an app in the Azure public cloud. It shows support for devices, hypervisor,  and
core Windows. It's a story about embracing a platform and extending reach.

My 2 cents.