From Arjan Eriks <eriar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:11:12 GMT
Thanks all for your insights. I think we can agree already on a number
of things. Branding for events and other community outings is fun to do!
Using the Tshirt design below is great fun, and it actually makes our
point as well. Be clear what ride you are going to pick! The paved road
that can be dull, or the adventure in which you can experience things no
man has ever seen before. Just like Mark mentioned in his Keynote (which
was great btw). And small laptop stickers or Tee Shirts with something
to guess are always nice. Just as laptop stickers that make you belong
to a group (like the monitoringlove ones by Jason Dixon)

The 'formal' CloudStack logo is there for a reason. The logo was chosen
after a 'contest' but a lot of thinking has been done prior to making
it. And that deeper meaning is something we value. It is my worry that
the logo has a bit of a playful image. But as some of you correctly
pointed out, we have hadoop, linux and different brands using happy
animals as well. And this thread was not started to rebrand CloudStacks
official logo.

If you look at the freedom Michael Ducy and SBP have taken GOATS, this
is hilarious as well. "Code Can" became "Goat Can". And nobody within
the enterprise or OpsCode will think that OpsCode is associated with
Goats.  For CloudStack it is a bit different because the community
flavors are way closer to the original logo.

Lets keep CitrixCloudPlatform out of the equation.  That might be a
different topic.

So if it is up to me, lets make use of the power of the monkey for BACD,
Events, drinks, talks, stickers etc. But personally i would like to have
a discussion on how to invade the corporates. Or to put it different, on
how to position CLoudStack and CloudPlatform next to the competitors.
What niche / market proposition can we claim? With the product being
this mature and easy to install i feel that we have momentum to make a
step. If independent analysts / pre sales consultants put us on long
lists and short lists we have an opportunity to conquer the enterprise.
V-Cloud is expensive, OpenStack takes too much hassle. AWS and Azure
have post snowden syndromes. Feels like we and Citrix should sell sell sell!

Thanks, Arjan