From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:39:41 GMT

On Nov 27, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Arjan Eriks <eriarjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I just joined the marketing list as co-organizer of the CCCEU13. And i was involved in
the logo design for the event as well (hence i recognize the monkey on the pirate shirt).

> I like the pirate design very much. It gives some feeling about rebellion, being brave,
different, funny, adventurous and such. A lot of values you would like to have as an open
source community. We are not like the rest, we are making our own choices.

> But for positioning CLoudStack as a top of the bill cloud product, that plays a role
next to OpenStack, AWS, Azure, IBM etc. etc.. I do not like the monkey logo that much. It
just feels too much like a comic book. A lot of open source products are not chosen on a C
level, but CloudStack is. Imho it should look robust, mature, proven, open, global... and
maybe even 'enterprise' sometimes.

> Really would like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks, Arjan

I am with you Arjan. I said it before, the monkey is cool but can be associated (in the western
world) with fun/joker and unreliable (totally biased prejudice of course).

The background of the monkey logo comes from "Journey to the West"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

Where you can read:
"...It deals entirely with the earlier exploits of Sun Wukong, a monkey born from a stone
nourished by the Five Elements, who learns the art of the Tao, 72 polymorphic transformations,
combat, and secrets of immortality, and through guile and force makes a name for himself"

Regarding the pirate, I think it's cool but I do share Harm's concern, and as with Gamma rays…we
have to be careful:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Single_event-upset

-Sebastien