From "me@kelceydamage.com" ...@kelceydamage.com>
Subject Re: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:01:18 GMT
I think there needs to be some leeway between the product and the community.

I understand the boardroom concerns, but a lot of cloudstacks charm is it's people. The special,
diverse, and creative people that chose to make it their project.

I think making fun themes and so on, goes great with our hackathon and other informal dev
events. And I lean towards the more professional side when it comes to our user/public focused
events/media.

-Kelcey

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "sebgoa" <runseb@gmail.com>
To: <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Pirate Monkey?
Date: Wed, Nov 27, 2013 6:39 AM

On Nov 27, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Arjan Eriks <eriarjan@gmail.com> wrote:

Guys,

I just joined the marketing list as co-organizer of the CCCEU13. And i was involved in the
logo design for the event as well (hence i recognize the monkey on the pirate shirt).

I like the pirate design very much. It gives some feeling about rebellion, being brave, different,
funny, adventurous and such. A lot of values you would like to have as an open source community.
We are not like the rest, we are making our own choices.

But for positioning CLoudStack as a top of the bill cloud product, that plays a role next
to OpenStack, AWS, Azure, IBM etc. etc.. I do not like the monkey logo that much. It just
feels too much like a comic book. A lot of open source products are not chosen on a C level,
but CloudStack is. Imho it should look robust, mature, proven, open, global... and maybe even
'enterprise' sometimes.

Really would like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks, Arjan

I am with you Arjan. I said it before, the monkey is cool but can be associated (in the western
world) with fun/joker and unreliable (totally biased prejudice of course).

The background of the monkey logo comes from "Journey to the West"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

Where you can read:
"...It deals entirely with the earlier exploits of Sun Wukong, a monkey born from a stone
nourished by the Five Elements, who learns the art of the Tao, 72 polymorphic transformations,
combat, and secrets of immortality, and through guile and force makes a name for himself"

Regarding the pirate, I think it's cool but I do share Harm's concern, and as with Gamma rays…we
have to be careful:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Single_event-upset

-Sebastien

kelcey@backbonetechnology.com 27 Nov 2013 14:36
Hahaha,

I'm in! All in the name of good clean fun ;).

Sent from my HTC