From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:19:49 GMT
I echo Arjan & Sebastiens points:

The monkey/pirate  is potentially  a very strong & identifiable brand. Its fun, makes
the project stand out .

However, we need to be careful not to be seen too much as just the fun guys: we need to make
sure that the technology is perceived as  solid/safe/reliable. A choice that nobody gets fired
for making.

However, Chip raised an interesting point recently that projects like Hadoop have achieved
exactly that: become a very strong brand and having a fun logo.

So I don't know where to turn here!

One other thing: Steve I totally disagree with your comment. Although CCP will, obviously,
be positioned by you guys as an enterprise play I think it would be very dangerous for everybody
concerned here if ACS was somehow perceived as not being an enterprise friendly/ready product
in any way.  If  and when CCP has a superset of features that are aimed at enterprises, I
may have a different view, but right now they are the same technology.  Everybody knows that.
The market knows that. And its right now we're battling to stop that market being painted
red & grey by rackspace, Redat,et al

We do not see these vendors portraying Opestack as a fun,cool thing: we see them talking about
it as a solid,enterprise  grade platform that they build on top of

Sorry if this sounds like a rant: but I see the success of CCP and ACS as intimately entwined
and we have to be VERY careful that ACS does not become perceived at "the community version
of that Citrix thing" . ACS must play "linux kernel" to Citrix's "Commercially supported linux
distribution"....if you get my analogy

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com