From "Alex Hitchins" <cloudst...@alexhitchins.com>
Subject RE: Pirate Monkey?
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:34:04 GMT
I agree with Sebastien/Arjan on this. I’m not sure Monkeys/Pirates will send
the right signals.

Alexander Hitchins

-------------------------

Personal Email : alex@alexhitchins.com <mailto:alex@alexhitchins.com>

Apache Email   : asf@alexhitchins.com <mailto:asf@alexhitchins.com>

Website        : http://alexhitchins.com

Mobile         : 07788 423 969

From: sebgoa [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: 27 November 2013 14:40
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Pirate Monkey?

On Nov 27, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Arjan Eriks <eriarjan@gmail.com
<mailto:eriarjan@gmail.com> > wrote:

Guys,

I just joined the marketing list as co-organizer of the CCCEU13. And i was
involved in the logo design for the event as well (hence i recognize the
monkey on the pirate shirt).

I like the pirate design very much. It gives some feeling about rebellion,
being brave, different, funny, adventurous and such. A lot of values you
would like to have as an open source community. We are not like the rest, we
are making our own choices.

But for positioning CLoudStack as a top of the bill cloud product, that
plays a role next to OpenStack, AWS, Azure, IBM etc. etc.. I do not like the
monkey logo that much. It just feels too much like a comic book. A lot of
open source products are not chosen on a C level, but CloudStack is. Imho it
should look robust, mature, proven, open, global... and maybe even
'enterprise' sometimes.

Really would like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks, Arjan

I am with you Arjan. I said it before, the monkey is cool but can be
associated (in the western world) with fun/joker and unreliable (totally
biased prejudice of course).

The background of the monkey logo comes from "Journey to the West"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

Where you can read:

"...It deals entirely with the earlier exploits of Sun Wukong, a monkey born
from a stone nourished by the Five Elements, who learns the art of the Tao,
72 polymorphic transformations, combat, and secrets of immortality, and
through guile and force makes a name for himself"

Regarding the pirate, I think it's cool but I do share Harm's concern, and
as with Gamma rays…we have to be careful:

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Single_event-upset

-Sebastien

      kelcey@backbonetechnology.com <mailto:kelcey@backbonetechnology.com>
27 Nov 2013 14:36
Hahaha,

I'm in! All in the name of good clean fun ;).

Sent from my HTC