From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Powered By Logo
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:59:47 GMT

On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 03:34:15PM +0000, Giles Sirett wrote:
>> All
>>
>> I'm really not a big fan of using the monkey for this.
>> The monkey is fun and interesting in the community context but if I had a public
cloud or product powered by ACS, I wouldn't want to put that on my website.

>> IMO the concept of "powered by" needs to get over a message  of reliability, safe
tech, etc  - I don't think the monkey does that. Also, it has to be a logo that people will
want to use on their sites. The monkey may be a bit too much fun for that

>> Now -everybody will say - "what would you use instead" - I'm not full of ideas, but
I think the standard ACS text only logo with a "powered by" tagline would be more widley used.

>> Alternatively, something like these:
>> http://forums.auroraos.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2030
>> With those, we could still have Mr Monkey, but he would be slightly diluted.
>
> Great feedback Giles. Thanks!
>
> Funny though, the Hadoop Elephant seems to have
> been accepted by the industry and it splashed all over the place!

I know the origin of the monkey logo but in my 10 seconds stereotype:

-the elephant is strong, reliable and "tamed"
-the monkey is crazy, noisy, agitated and plays tricks on you