From Mathias Mullins <mathias.mull...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Press Article
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:38:58 GMT
For the price of admission, here's what I've got:

OpenStack:

  *   First and foremost is a Frame Work and not a completely integrated solution. Each piece
is it's own product and it's own development effort. They then rely on queues and communication
to try and work together, but that is where a lot of the work is done.
  *   The community is very fragmented. The big boys are investing in their branches and very
little into the core. Nearly a 95/5% split. Causing little growth in the core and collaboration
amongst the giants that are "contributing" to OpenStack
  *   The Integration piece is lengthy and cumbersome. Average deployment time is in the timeframe
of months, not days
  *   The functions do not include SDN, accounts, usage, and other ancillary functions. If
there is not a module for it, it does not exist and you need to find someone to do it. Thus
the large number of "partners" doing the leg work.
  *   While they have they investor companies running on it, they are still having growth
issues outside of it's own walls. http://gigaom.com/2013/07/19/after-three-years-openstack-has-made-progress-but-theres-still-work-to-do/

CloudStack:

  *   Single source, one collaborative entity. You have a suite of applications that work
in harmony and developed in harmony to work together to bring you IaaS
  *   Focus on customer experience and flexibility. You want to get running in 5 hours? Cool.
You don't like our GUI? Cool, just run the same APIs on yours. You don't want a GUI? Cool,
run all API. Want to do something different, Cool, go right ahead; by the way can you look
at contributing that later on if it's a good idea?
  *   One Community, No influence. Citrix is no longer the majority of contributors, and has
no financial impact at all on the product. You don't see, "Cisco spends 20 Million on CloudStack"
because they can't. It doesn't buy them influence, credit, or any good. But their UCS cabinet
is getting fully integrated and their network pieces are becoming a part of the suite. They
Contribute, not dictate.
  *   Out of the Box is our (IMHO) BEST Feature:
     *   Compute Systems
        *   KVM (Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS)
        *   VMware ESX (4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1)
        *   Xen / XCP / XenServer (6.0, 6.0.2, 6.1)
        *   Bare Metal
        *   I would say OVM, but someone needs to confirm if that's working again
        *   And very soon HyperV
        *   UCS Chassis integration
     *   Storage
        *   If your hypervisor supports it, we do
        *   NFS
        *   iSCSI
        *   S3 (Secondary Storage)
        *   SolidFire integration
     *   Network
        *   Cisco Integration
           *   ASA
           *   1000v
        *   F5 BIG IP Integration
        *   Juniper SRX integration
        *   Netscaler Integration
        *   SDN
     *   Software
        *   RESTful open API
        *   EC2 API passthru (think that's the right way to say it)
        *   Usage information
        *   Account and User setup and administration
        *   Account Administration and User API access
        *   Customer utilization dashboards
        *   Customer friendly GUI
        *   Real time GUI via API

And that's without getting into the IaaS pieces like Regions, dedicated resources and more.
Out-of-the-Box is what should be THE differentiator in my mind. One Tar Ball, One Setup, and
One System – One CloudStack.

OK Ramble complete. Though I can go on…
Matt