From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: CloudStack Trademark Approval for OSCON signage and
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:39:59 GMT
+1 from trademarks@

Rationale:  This is using the Apache Cloudstack logo unmodified, in a
list format with other software products.  The meaning is clear and
explicit in the phrase "Citrix supports open source", with the listing
of obvious software products; this is nominative use and any informed
consumer would understand the reference.

Citrix then goes on (bottom half) to describe the cool stuff that they
do with this list of open source software products, which is obviously
all their own products and branding.

Just saying, this is a classic example of a good brand use.  When used
in a list format (i.e. several obvious software products from different
vendors) and with an explicit "we use this" or "we support these" or the
like, it's clearly nominative use.  Technically nominative use doesn't
even require asking us for permission, even on an event banner or other
marketing materials - although we always appreciate vendors who ask for
guidance!

- Shane

Hope everyone enjoys OSCON, wish I could make it...