From Mark Hinkle <Mark.Hin...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: OSCON Exhibition and other Activities
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:35:30 GMT
On Jun 11, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Chip Childers <chipchilders@apache.org<mailto:chipchilders@apache.org>>
wrote:

(note mixed public and private lists)

Mark,

Adding trademarks@ for their visibility.

I have a couple of questions listed below:

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07:47PM +0000, Mark Hinkle wrote:
Hello,

I have an opportunity for OSCON(http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013) that Citrix would like to
provide to Apache CloudStack.

As always, thanks to Citrix for offering this type of sponsorship
donation to the project.

We have an Open@Citrix booth 20'x20' at OSCON as part of the OSCON exhibit(http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013/public/content/sponsors).
The booth has four demo pods one each reserved for the Linux Foundation's OpenDaylight, Xen
Project, a 'yet to be named' Citrix OSS project and ACS.  We'll be offering a demo pod for
ACS to demo CloudStack and give away ACS approved branded merchandise which we will fund if
approved.  The pod will have a screen to display a rotating presentation display that we will
submit for approval by the ACS marketing list. Exhibitors could do demos on a laptop on the
provided counter.

I'm slightly concerned here, but perhaps you can help eliminate my
concern (and this sort of applies to the poker party below as well).
My concern is the potential confusion about Citrix and Apache CloudStack
in how the pavilion is presented. Can you share a bit about how you see
the brands being kept distinct, and how any potential confusion about
the project being Citrix owned would be reduced?  To be clear, this is
*not* a vote of no confidence.  I just want to understand how things
will be presented.

trademarks@ - any thoughts on the concern above?  Am I off base?

OTOH, I have to say that the actual CloudStack demo "pod" sounds
awesome!

-   At the demo pod Kelcey Damage has agreed to help as well as Joe Brockmeier and David Nalley
though I would invite anyone else from the project to help answer questions, pending approval
of course. Therefore the only exhibitors would be Apache CloudStack committers so far but
there are no restrictions to others participating that I know of.

That's good to hear!

- On the Wednesday night  (July 24th) we'll be doing the same thing we did this same thing
last year at OSCON, it's the Citrix Open Cloud Poker party (http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013/public/schedule/detail/29601).
We'll give sponsorship of the tables to a number of open source projects for free this will
include ACS and like-minded project. . We'll also create CloudStack poker chips and CloudStack
playing cards pending approval.

see comments about the pavilion above...

For all giveaways and promotional items we'll share proposed designs with the marketing list
and send to the PMC and trademarks@apache.org<mailto:trademarks@apache.org><mailto:trademarks@apache.org>
for approval. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or concerns.

Thanks.

Regards, Mark

The booth will be a 20x20 space with four pods with tower dedicated to each individual project.
The center will have have a gaming area (XBox) and the Open@Citrix brand for the Citrix Open
Source Office.
Each tower is a clearly distinct project pod for each -- Apache CloudStack, Xen Project,
Linux Foundation's Open Daylight and a fourth project we are working on launching that is
complimentary to the other three.
Each open source project will be offered a 3' table and accompanying wall mounted screen.
On the screen we are asking each project to provide a looping presentation and then on the
desktop they'll  be able to give a demo via a laptop if they so chose.

Here's a rough rendering of the design - http://postimg.org/image/40w0e6vnl/

As for the poker party the even is a Citrix event and then each table would have a placard
with their project logo.We would encourage each project to have members there to in I believe
that some of the Apache members were in attendance last year. I recall we had Gluster, Ceph,
CloudStack, Puppet, etc. I would point out that this is the second time we would be doing
this and we were approved last year and I believe that some of the Apache folks might have
been at the event. We don't plan to modify the format if that was acceptable.

Here are some pictures of last year's event, no overt Citrix branding, each table had a placard
so like-minded individuals could cluster around their favorite projects:

Xen Project Table - See Placard - OSCON branded with Xen Project
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610788408/in/set-72157630609904796/lightbox/

A typical table - Robyn Bergeron from Fedora brought the playing cards last year
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610789996/in/set-72157630609904796

Sarah Novotny - OSCON Conference chair had a "bounty" prize for whoever knocked her out of
the poker tourney:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/7610792552/in/set-72157630609904796

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark